Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you're a trophy hunter and...

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM

Default RE: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Why is it the trophy hunters that are pointed out in this thread? LOL Why would ANY hunter hunt the rut? Im not understanding, its like asking,

"Why wouldn't Tom Brady sit out the SuperBowl if he has already proven and knows he is good enough to win it?" Uhh, because its the Super Bowl...The Rut is an exciting time of year to be in the woods, and to me a true trophy hunter might even be at a disadvantage.

Its like GMMAT said, his odds of killing THAT buck, go down in rut (he could be anywhere), but his odds of killing ANY buck, go up (trophy hunters dont kill just any buck). So which is it Jeff, they are hindered by rut or helped by it?

I agree with MO 110%, Hunting a season that opens Sept 1 (like mine) or earlier (SC, AK, and others) is easier to kill your bruiser than November, when chaos dominates the woods. Last year, if it wasn't for Blue Tongue whiping out a bachelor group we had pinned down, I would bet a 100 dollar bill that I would have been filming my buddy kill 1 of 4 P&Y deer in the group. We watched them enter the same field, EVERY Day, Same time (+- 15 minutes), same corner, heck SAME TRAIL.....it was aslam dunk, but EHD hit deer hard out there...they, and all other deer, simply dissapeared come opening season....

This year, I didnt even have a place to hunt for the seasons opener....we lost a few prime parcels of land, and my only go to place left was still underwater from the beavers....I had no interest in summer scouting for early season this past year because I wasnt even sure where I could hunt.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Dominant Buck

So which is it Jeff, they are hindered by rut or helped by it?
Most people aren't hunting ONE buck. They're hunting "A" buck.

And it's easier to kill "A" buck during the rut (IMO).
Old 11-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am hunting the rut and I am hoping it will get the big boys up and moving.
Take the game tohimbig guy...if you're good and tag soup isn't an issue.

Tell mehonestly, do you really feel a buck's guard is the same during the rut as it is outside the rut? Maybe not jumping jacks but you can certainly get away with more than when tihngs are normal, right?

Mine too.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So which is it Jeff, they are hindered by rut or helped by it?
Most people aren't hunting ONE buck. They're hunting "A" buck.

But since we are sticking with this thread, most people arent trophy hunters either. Trophy hunters only target the elite bucks of their area, and with that there arent many of them roaming around.

They may be hunting "A" buck, but it is "A" buck of only 1-2 or 3 in the area most likely.

I agree, if Joe Schmoe wouldnt to go out and simply put antlers on the ground, ANY buck, the Rut is when to be out there...Odds of seeing atleast some buck goes up....Odds of seeing your one of few bucks? They could be anywhere.

Patterning on feed patterns in early season is a much better way to get on him, IMO anyway.

If you were a trophy hunter for your area, would you kill a deer less than THAT deer?
If not, how does the rut help you as a trophy hunter since you said yourself it decreases your odds of seeing him in particular....
Old 11-13-2008, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Tell mehonestly, do you really feel a buck's guard is the same during the rut as it is outside the rut? Maybe not jumping jacks but you can certainly get away with more than when tihngs are normal, right?
IMO, no. They still can wind you, see you, hear you...and the games still up just as before...the only difference is, he will be on his feet more during daylight instead of bedded up....doesnt mean it is an advantage. Just cause he is on his feet doesnt mean he is headed your way, he could be headed ANYWHERE.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

I understand the question but after reading all of your repsonses, sounds like it is more a rhetorical question aimed at jabbing those that consider themselves a trophy hunter or some degree thereof.

Maybe not, but that is how it comes across to me. Not that there is anything wrong with that even if I am correct, just an observation.

So with that preface, I'll give my .02 anyway.

I get one buck tag per county (I hunt two counties). I can get more doe tags than I am capable of or want to fill. But I kill quite a few doe and enjoy doing so. I have a 90+ day season in which I can bowhunt. I like to hunt alot for an excuse to get out and enjoythe outdoorsso why not be a little picky as to what I try and put my one buck tag per county on?

I have yet to kill what I consider a big deer , with my biggest gross scoring 137". But I have killed three P/Y deer.

Maybe there is something unique to my area as compared to others about post rut, but 2 out of3 of mine have been killedlate season. Ihave passed as many other "mature" deer post rut as I have during the rut, soyour reasoning of being more difficult "sans rut" doesn't hold water based on my personal experiences of 20+ years, at least for my particular area.

Granted, I have SEEN more big bucks during the rut, but if they are chasing in hot pursuit, your chances of getting one to stop long enough for a shot within bow range is almost nil. SEEING them and KILLING them during the rut is two completely different things.

Here is a recap of when/how I have killed my 3 P/Y
Deer #1 - During the rut - responded to a grunt call from about 65 yards out. Came right to it. Slam dunk 10 yard shot.

Deer #2 Saw once before the rut and twice during the rut. Never got him within bow range. After a 3 day snow storm in the last week of the season, I get him inside of 20 yards for a chip shot on a trail leading to a wheat field at 4:00 in the afternoon when allI was really expecting was a doe.

Deer #3 I never saw prior or during the rut. I saw him from a distance on two occasions late season in the A.M. on the same route from a wheat field to bedding. I sat up a stand along the routemidday and killed him on the first set the next morning.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the area I have to hunt. I have been taking it to him for over a month. I have been on every section of the property, they have been pressured, does have died, my buddy killed a nice little buck, the farmer is cutting wood. YesI honestly think it is harder to take a "mature" buck late season (the rut). Deer sightings are down, have not seen the main frame ten I have been after since the Early Season. I pray you right though because I really want that sum bitch on my wall. Thanks for the conversation Will, I enjoyed it. Going to bed as I have a 4 am alarm set to try and kill a drunk buck.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand the question but after reading all of your repsonses, sounds like it is more a rhetorical question aimed at jabbing those that consider themselves a trophy hunter or some degree thereof.

Maybe not, but that is how it comes across to me. Not that there is anything wrong with that even if I am correct, just an observation.
Guilty as charged Flapjack-to a degree.I am trying to understand the concept of "trophy hunting" as well as the concept of "settling". It just seems to me that a true trophy hunter wouldstrive to hunt withina "normal" situation involving a particular buck verses an event within that particular buck's life when hissurvivalskills aregreatly hinder by his drive to propagate. In your three deer scenario, were you hunting a particular buck? Is trophy hunting "any" deer within a certain class under "any" condition? If so, then I'll stop jabbing.

Mine are not malicious intentions-I too love all! I am always questioning why I hunt. Sometimes it spills over onto ya'll.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Site Buck Guru

Can you elevate the diffivulty any more than that? YES
Let's hear it.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I guess the same thinking should apply to guys that use guides.
and anyonehunting Kansas !!

Tim

Quick Reply: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.