Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you're a trophy hunter and...

Old 11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Are you implying something Mo?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm implying an advantage to the hunter using guides.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Hoyt,

Ever notice the number of deer going into the bag lately? Sorry, if I would have seen your earlier post, I would have not started this.
Tell me bout it. Since the early stages of the rut, the entries in the contest just skyrocketed. hmmm... I wonder why.

I notice by some guys' posts that they are under the impression Will, Jeff, I for that matter are saying it is easy to kill a mature buck during the rut. Heck no, it's not, nobody ever said that.But, your chances of killing one certainly does go up about a thousand percent when these bad boys are running around doped up.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I think it would be cool if we could (and would) answer all these questions without fear of stepping on someone's toes.

EDIT** Exactly Hoyt. I'm not diminishing (on purpose) ANYONE'S accomplishments. I've already admitted that the only luck I've had with a mature deer came within the rut. If I were diminshing accomplishments....I sure wouldn't wanna start at home! It doesnt need to be like that. It's just a discussion.

I was thinking of a post, today...."How much would you pay for a deer"? Money? Job? Marriage? Frindships??????

I don't wanna go there....

I don't think it could be discussed, here, without people getting twisted.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

And you have been there, done that to know better?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mo are you saying it's like someone else doing the leg work and just showing up for the shooting. If you got the money we got the prey?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

you have elevated the degree of difficult. Do yousit outthe rut? Isn't your buck more likely to be thinking with his little head rather than his big head? Is the playing field truly level? Or, have you tilted things in your favor? Seems to me, if you were indeed a trophy hunter, you would bench yourself for the rut.

Thoughts?
One of the more ridiculous statements I've ever seen.

I'll play.

Why not just shorten the season to the first 7 days of October.

Must wear nothing but a loin cloth and have one arm tied behind your back.

No hunting over food sources of any kind.

No weapons except your bare hand.

Can you elevate the diffivulty any more than that?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I havent read all the pages of this thread, It may have already been mentioned.... My appologies.

This is my oppinion, because Ive never gotten to do this because our season opens in Oct. But Hunting them in August/September seems to be the advantage point in my opinion. They are still on there feeding patterns well in daylight hours. I feel I couldve had a chance at some nice ones real early.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:53 PM

Honeslty, I think I may have a better chance just before the actual rut at killing a big buck... The one and only true nice buck, nice as in a buck that will turn a few heads, that i have killed with the bowwas the last week of Oct.. in fact, most of the 100-115" bucks I have killed have been the last week of Oct..or the first few days of Nov, not exactly the rut but damn close..but I know fully what you guys are saying, it is supposed to be easier to kill a mature buck in the rut, but it has not happened to me in the rut in 17 years!! well with a bow that is..it seems easier to pattern them before the rut..
Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Mo are you saying it's like someone else doing the leg work and just showing up for the shooting. If you got the money we got the prey?
Let's assume the answer to this question is "yes". The ONLY issue I have is when people try to pass it off as something other than that. If it's a paid-for, guided hunt.....just say so! I think that's great! If you shot it over bait.....just say so! If you shot it in a fence....just say so! If you shot it during the rut.....just say so!

Don't yank my chain, though.

(and before the board police crucify me, online.....NO...I'm not equating HF hunting...w/ hunting bucks during the rut)

They are still on there feeding patterns well in daylight hours.
Aaron...

Tell me exactly how many mature bucks you've seen on their feet during "daylight hours" since youve been hunting them......Outside the rut.

Quick Reply: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.