Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you're a trophy hunter and...

Old 11-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you're a trophy hunter and...

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

In mine too Jeff. Guys like Michaelhunsucker and Bloomgren come to mind. Nobody is questioning whether or not hunting is fair-it is not. I am asking those true trophy hunters if they would consider benching themselves during the rut?
I don't understand.

Hunting is "not fair" anytime.

Why would a Trophy hunter sit out the rut, if it is the best time to shoot a trophy?

Is my problem understanding coming from your definition of a trophy hunter? Why would a "True" trophy hunter sit out the rut?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The big guy who was born smart and only walks during the daylight a few days a year when he smells estrous.
So then Michael, he is at his weakest-without the estrous he wouldn't be seen and you would be required to go in after him.

I hunt for many reasons being fair isn't one of them. I am not a trophy hunter, I admit it.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If trophy = inches - well then I think you know the answer to that.

To the few who honestly have other standards to judge by, I could see that happening. I know shooting a buck outside of the rut is a much greater rush for me, but I am not good enough yet to accompish that consistantly in the three or so weeks that qualify every year (and the weeks after gun season it is even harder)....so for me, I still hunt the rut and love it. I can understand the reason behind it though.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have allowed many Georgia bucks to walk that most guys here would give their kids away for.
Really dude.. really. I love everyone.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't what a mature buck does during the rut "normal" for that period of time? If a mature buck is eating cut corn for two weeks, then that pattern is "normal" for that period of time. If a construction crew comes out and encroaches onto a mature bucks core area and he moves 1/2 mile away and begins a new travel route, then wouldn't that travel route now then become a "normal" travel route. So many variables, so little time to hunt. I could care less what time/place I connect on a mature buck...for it would be my first.

Everyone hunts differently. Some people have the luxury of hunting for hunting video companies(no problems at all with them) where they get to hunt prime land in September in the middle of monsterbuckvile USA...where they have scouted those bucks for months using 120 game cameras, knowing where those bucks piss every minute of the day, and use long range optics on bean fields to see exactly where those bucks enter the field every night. Yet others hunt where there is not even a single crop field (me), cannot use game cameras, and have to just go at it with the deer, every single day. Others have to hunt public land with a million other people on a daily basis. It is all relative. So comparing some "big" buck killers with other trophy hunters is not even close when you think of all the factors that go into hunting....time of year, availability of big buck property, time to hunt.......and many other things that we cannot possibly take into account when trying to analyze "is this guy a good hunter?"
Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm REALLY not understanding the blowback on this thread.

I think it's a great discussion topic. Maybe a fair question would be.....would you feel a greater sense of accomplishment....if the mature buck you took was taken outside the rut?

I know I would.
No different feelingin accomplishment, what-so-ever. The goal is the same to hunt a "trophy" and put him on the ground. What's the difference, what about the seasons that open early when a buck is truly patternable (some still in Velvet). Why are we always trying to handicap things?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm REALLY not understanding the blowback on this thread.

I think it's a great discussion topic. Maybe a fair question would be.....would you feel a greater sense of accomplishment....if the mature buck you took was taken outside the rut?

I know I would.
No different feelingin accomplishment, what-so-ever. The goal is the same to hunt a "trophy" and put him on the ground. What's the difference, what about the seasons that open early when a buck is truly patternable (some still in Velvet). Why are we always trying to handicap things?
Excellent Post. Just excellent.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ive killed them in early oct when I new they would be comming into the beans, and I have killed them in late Nov when they are on the prowl. They are a hell of alot easier to pattern in the earlyseasonthen when the rut is on IMHO. With your anology GMMAT should be able to get the big buck he has been spying now that the rutt has kicked in. (and I hope you do jeff.)

Old 11-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't think so, Chris. I've seen him twice, now.....a mile apart. How do you pattern that?....lol

I'll be where I saw him last, tomorrow......when he was dogging does (and I needed him to come 10yds closer). I still think where I saw him the first time is where he lives.....but with the rut kicking in....he could be anywhere (obviously).

GR8...Only analogy I can come up with is.....

Would you feel better about picking up a drunk bombshell or a perfectly sober one?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

drunk bombshell
I will take my wife any way I can get her....but select drunk because she is a lot more fun after a few shots of tequila!

Quick Reply: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.