Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you're a trophy hunter and...

Old 11-14-2008, 05:31 AM

Default RE: If you're a trophy hunter and...

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

They may be hunting "A" buck, but it is "A" buck of only 1-2 or 3 in the area most likely.
Trevor...I think you give MANY too much credit.

I'm betting you (yes..for even the "trophy" hunters) that a HUGE majority percentage of bucks are killed by hunters who saw the buck for the 1st time.....the day they killed it.

I disagree. Even if it was a buck never seen before, in order for them to take it, the quality animal doesn't change, still has to be 1 out of the 2-3 heck maybe 4-5 bucks in that area.

Lets do it this way. You are on a playground, and you want to throw a rock at 1 of 4 kids you despise, they are they biggest baddest kids on the block. Would you rather "hunt" them while classes were on schedule, and each class comes out at a certain time, kids do their own certain things, and somewhat stick to a pattern, or would you rather go sit during the rut, when the whole school lets out and mass chaos lets loose as all the kids run everywhere?

Sure, if you guys want to diminish trophy hunters for hunting for their own reasons, go ahead (Will somewhat admited to it, taking jabs at them). Pointing out how you think trophy hunters are hypocrits for hunting the rut when it is easy, all the while advocating everyone hunt for their own reasons....just dont make sense. And most of the trophy hunters I know, dont look for tougher seasons to increase difficulty, they look for bigger deer. Increases the difficulty all the same, and they hunt all season long.

So im guessing a guided hunt during the rut in a big buck state is just the epitome of easy if one tags a bruiser, right?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:35 AM

In doing so the hunterwill havetested their hunting skills and has (for the most part) eliminated the possibility of a random trophy buck crossing his path or even the one he's hunting for that matter, because the buck was only there because he wason the prowl for does.
How does hunting skill change? Have you guys advocating this ever been able to hunt a buck on his summer patterns? If you have access to good food sources, and have the time to glass the fields in the afternoon, I think even you guys will find that getting on a big buck is just as easy if not easier then.

How is hunting a buck when he is patternable showing of more hunting skill? To be the devils advocate, wouldn't it be harder to kill a buck(not just any buck) if he could be anywhere at random?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Well if the original question is to have any merit, I think a true trophy hunter should throw caution to the wind, put on his best blue undies and charge wildly through the woods yelling "here trophy... Here Trophy". Now that guy would be my hero.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're trying to make this more than it is. It's suppose to be fun. Who gives acrap if you sit out the rut. You want to do.... then do it. If it makes you happy... FINE. Me, I like the excitement and intensity of seeing bucks chasing does and multiple bucks running around looking for their date. Trophy hunting by sitting out the excitement of the rut????.... POO I say.As far as trophy... I just hunt. I don't have time to play games with my own mind by trying to decide if it's ethicalto profess to be a trophy hunting and still hunt the rut. This thread should be deleted. It's stupid. Name me one hunter who sits out the rut because he thinks it's not being a trophy hunter. Give me a name. The hunter doesn't exist except in his own mind.
Well if the original question is to have any merit, I think a true trophy hunter should throw caution to the wind, put on his best blue undies and charge wildly through the woods yelling "here trophy... Here Trophy". Now that guy would be my hero.
Mine too David, Are you saying this trophy hunter stuff is malarchy?

Again, in theory, the hunter that does this AND still kills the trophy buck they were after could presumably take even more pleasure in their trophy buck due to the circumstances of which he killed it.
You're all over it John! I'll be hunting the rut with you.

Instead of going on guided hunts, why not grab your hunting pack and set out on a hiking mission to all 50 states, become a resident, then do DIY hunts?

BTW, when you get to the point of needing a boat to get to your destination, carve one out of a log. This includes going to Africa. You know, if you're good and tag soup isn't an issue.
Greg, why don't you stop making assumptions as to how I hunt. You are welcome to hunt with me anytime. the door is always open!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

I find this post kinda outta whack!!!

First off on my properties we do have antler restirctions, does that make us Trophy hunters or hunters who like to see deer mature and reach there potential??? I dont travel the world and judge everyone, i just do whats right for me...

Another thing hate to burst your "the deer are stupid in the rut" theory, but i have had far greater success patterning bucks on food sources early in the season and super late in the season. Not to say i havent bagged a few good ones during the rut, but it just doesnt happen as often for me.The deer are all over the place, and i mighthave a monster pegged and never see him during the rutcause he is 10 farms down the road.

For me the rut is like watching a show, i love to just watch them go!! My friend is texting me from my farm right now telling me how he has a bunch of 120 class deer chasing in front of him in the stand i just placed, He aint seeing the trophy but he is having a blast just watching them. thats why i hunt the rut!!!! Sure the opprotunity is there to shoot a giant, but its also there every time you go out. My biggest deer to date i shot new years morning, quiet, cold, and flurries, 3 hours after light and not seeing a thing here he comes.

stuck at work and cant wait for tomorrow to watch the show!!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

If we are to follow the OP's line of thought, then to truly feel a sense of accomplishment we should ditch our tree stands, bow and arrows, camo clothing and scent prevention gear. We should not shower for a week, wear a loincloth and try to take a mature buck from the ground with a sharp stick, big rock, or for the ultimate "trophy" using bare our hands only!
C'mon enough with the 'trophy hunter' hate.Sounds like a henhouse in here.Just hunt already.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

C'mon enough with the 'trophy hunter' hate.Sounds like a henhouse in here.Just hunt already.
I agree. Some times it take the Devil's advocate to bring such things to light.

For the record and after reviewing the "game bag", onebuck was killed in August,8 bucks (one of which was a mulie) were killed in September, 16 bucks were killed during the month of October ( seven of which were killed after 10/26), and 19 bucks were killed so far in November ( 6 were killed on the 13th). It appears the quality of the deer increases as the rut approached-IMO.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

I agree. Some times it take the Devil's advocate to bring such things to light.

For the record and after reviewing the "game bag", onebuck was killed in August,8 bucks (one of which was a mulie) were killed in September, 16 bucks were killed during the month of October ( seven of which were killed after 10/26), and 19 bucks were killed so far in November ( 6 were killed on the 13th). It appears the quality of the deer increases as the rut approached-IMO.
Do those facts also include the amount of hunters in the woods and amount of days each hunter sat?? Like to see those numbers too... In my experience there are a lot less hunters in the woods during the early season and late season.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will become a true bottom feeder tomorrow, when I partake in NY's shotgun hunt during the rut. If only I were hunting a high fenced baited enclosure.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do those facts also include the amount of hunters in the woods and amount of days each hunter sat?? Like to see those numbers too... In my experience there are a lot less hunters in the woods during the early season and late season.
Why is that? Why do more hunters come out for the rut-it can't be just for the show? I thought it was easier during the early season (?). One would think your average hunter would have this figured out, and thus hunt early, right?

Quick Reply: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.