Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you're a trophy hunter and...

Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: If you're a trophy hunter and...

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So which is it Jeff, they are hindered by rut or helped by it?
Most people aren't hunting ONE buck. They're hunting "A" buck.

And it's easier to kill "A" buck during the rut (IMO).
Eactly, that is why therehave beenmore deer entered in the contest thread in the past week and a half. But.....most of the deer entered are not mature and under 100". So, what's the point you guys are trying to make. If you look back in history, and this years contest thread, I bet the average score on deer shot in Sept. and Oct. is higher than the average score of the deer shot in Nov. It is b/c the larger deer are easier to target and bow hunt early in the season when they are predictable than they are during the rut and in no kind of routine or pattern. Yes, you may see more deer during the rut, but not necessarily "trophy" bucks within bow range.

Simply stated....."Trophy" bucks are easier to kill, with a bow, during their early season bedto feed routine. End of story, no convincing me otherwise, the facts are clear.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bunny hopping on one leg Greg and remaining showerless for the entire season. Next question...
Old 11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Bunny hopping on one leg Greg and remaining showerless for the entire season. Next question...
LOL.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does It bother you Will that there are trophy hunters on this forum? Do you have a problem with ethical trophy hunters?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

In your three deer scenario, were you hunting a particular buck? Is trophy hunting "any" deer within a certain class under "any" condition?
Only deer #3 but I will have to admit that if one similar or bigger would have presented a shot prior to him, I would have taken it even though I set the stand with him in mind.

In your three deer scenario, were you hunting a particular buck? Is trophy hunting "any" deer within a certain class under "any" condition?
I am sure there are as many different answers to that question as there are people reading it.

For me the answer is yes, but I don't consider myself a true trophy hunter,at least not a very productive or discplined one anyway.

If I was, I would pass all deer that were younger than 4 1/2 year and that didn't score at least xxxx. I don't always do that but yet, I have no desire to shoot a small buck, so whatever that categorizes me as, then so be it.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Dominant Buck

you have elevated the degree of difficult. Do yousit outthe rut? Isn't your buck more likely to be thinking with his little head rather than his big head? Is the playing field truly level? Or, have you tilted things in your favor? Seems to me, if you were indeed a trophy hunter, you would bench yourself for the rut.

Thoughts?
You're trying to make this more than it is. It's suppose to be fun. Who gives acrap if you sit out the rut. You want to do.... then do it. If it makes you happy... FINE. Me, I like the excitement and intensity of seeing bucks chasing does and multiple bucks running around looking for their date. Trophy hunting by sitting out the excitement of the rut????.... POO I say.As far as trophy... I just hunt. I don't have time to play games with my own mind by trying to decide if it's ethicalto profess to be a trophy hunting and still hunt the rut. This thread should be deleted. It's stupid. Name me one hunter who sits out the rut because he thinks it's not being a trophy hunter. Give me a name. The hunter doesn't exist except in his own mind.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Site Bouncer

Wow....interesting thread to say the least!

I don't think most folks really understoodthe original question, I'll try to clarify. However please correct me if I'm the one who's got it wrong Will because that's a distinct possibility.[&:]

Here we go: The hypothetical question that was asked was: Will a trophy hunter who decides to elevate their degreeof difficulty (take their hunting the "the next level")sit out the rut? In doing so the hunterwill havetested their hunting skills and has (for the most part) eliminated the possibility of a random trophy buck crossing his path or even the one he's hunting for that matter, because the buck was only there because he wason the prowl for does.

Again, in theory, the hunter that does this AND still kills the trophy buck they were after could presumably take even more pleasure in their trophy buck due to the circumstances of which he killed it.

While early season bucks may be easier to pattern, for the most part they will stay some what elusive and overall harder to kill. That's not to say trophy deer aren't killed before and after the rut, they are. However, I would gather to say that most of the trophy bucks killed this year will fall during the rut than any other time of the season. Again, I could be wrong but I don't think so.

There is one thing I do knowfor sure and that's the fact that I'll be hunting during the rut......you better believe it!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Typical Buck

I can not believe this is a thread......I'm pretty sure hunting is all about stacking the odds in your favor in order to get that big buck. Sorry, but in my opinion, the rut is a magical time to be in the woods and I consider myself a trophy hunter nomatter when I kill my buck. I try not to over-analyze the hunt. Let's be hunters.....not scientists!

I don't have to KNOW my buck.....I will get to KNOW him after I kill him! I hunt funnel areas and bedding cover during the rut and that is what sets me up for success....I don't have to hunt/kill a particular buck to feel satisfied. My skills are in my scouting and most importantly, proper stand placement.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Dominant Buck

They may be hunting "A" buck, but it is "A" buck of only 1-2 or 3 in the area most likely.
Trevor...I think you give MANY too much credit.

I'm betting you (yes..for even the "trophy" hunters) that a HUGE majority percentage of bucks are killed by hunters who saw the buck for the 1st time.....the day they killed it.

In doing so the hunterwill havetested their hunting skills and has (for the most part) eliminated the possibility of a random trophy buck crossing his path or even the one he's hunting for that matter, because the buck was only there because he wason the prowl for does.
I don't know why, John...but that steps on toes.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Site Buck Guru

Instead of going on guided hunts, why not grab your hunting pack and set out on a hiking mission to all 50 states, become a resident, then do DIY hunts?

BTW, when you get to the point of needing a boat to get to your destination, carve one out of a log. This includes going to Africa. You know, if you're good and tag soup isn't an issue.

Quick Reply: If you're a trophy hunter and...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.