Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

DID I HIT HIM????....HES HIT (update pg 3)

Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DID I HIT HIM????

Sounds to me like you hit him, probably nota great shot and won't have much blood. Let him sit overnight then in the am start circling.. He may not be far..

Good Luck and let us know.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

The last two deer I shot was from 22" feet in the tree. Last night I shot a doe I might of hit the shoulder but the arrow went in 8 - 10 inches. Do you think I could find any blood? NO I been hunting higher up in the air this year which is causing no pass throughs at closer yardages cause of the angle. Needless too say it rained today and I still never found that doe. So hopefully you find your deer and best luck on finding a good blood trail. IA
Old 11-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dopler

The fast tail wag is almost a certain sign that you mortally wounded him. Unless he was looking at you or aware of your presence, he can't jump the string at just 17 yards unless you're shooting a recurve or long bow-- compound bows are just too fast at that range. Three yards makes no difference for a kill shot hit, half an inch tops. Sounds like youhit him though. Goback andlook forthe arrow at the spot of impact. If you still can't find it, the arrow is probably still in him soslowly and quietlystalk to the spot you saw him slow down and wag his tail eratically, if the blood looks good, advance, if not, give him until morning to look for him.

Did you hear the arrow crack? Did you catch shoulder bone? Even if you did with that quartering shot,the arrow might have deflected forward into thelungs. Thefast tail usually means you caught the goods.
I beg to differ on this,most deer that duck the string do it less than 20 yards.

Plus,there has yet to be a bow that shoots faster than the speed of sound.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

If you're a good shot and you practice and you're confident in your shooting, this deer is dead. When I shoot a deer and I see the tail start to go fast side to side, I jump for joy as theyusually drop within 5-10 seconds from that point.

Here are the circumstances that you definately go back after him tonight.

1. You're on public ground or heavily hunted ground--you don't want some guy finding a gift walking into his stand in the morning. You don't want to walk up toa big deer body with no head.
2. You're on ground where you have otherhunters you don't trust or he's close to the borderline with otherguys you don't know.

Is it raining by you? I don't think this makes a big diffeence though if you made the hit I think you did from how you're describing it, you'll just take longer to find him is all because the blood might be mostly washed away.

If you're on a big tract of land then it really does not matter if you let him sit over night, worst thing, the yotes eat his ass end up.

Let us know how you do? We're pulling for you here.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Spike

What did the 5 does do? If he turned around as you said and ran away from the does, my experience tells me you hit him. Good luck. Please keep us posted.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:56 PM

Find that arrow and you will know for sure.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I beg to differ on this,most deer that duck the string do it less than 20 yards.

You came to the right guy for this argument ;-).

The speed of sound is around 767 mph, an average carbon arrow travels at around 200 mph.Meaning that the arrow will travel about 5 of those 17yards before the deer hears the string. In the remaining 12 yards, the deer will have approximately 1 tenth of a second to react to the noise. Imaginehaving 1/10th of a second to react to a surprising noise?

I read a very interestingarticle several years ago by a wildlife biologist and avid hunterabout deer string jump.He did tests on deer and tested the deers reflexes. The conclusion of the study was that once a deer is alert, meaning it's looking at something that's spooked it or it's heard something that has it on hightened alert it can react to sound or danger in an instant and can potentially jump the string atbowhunting ranges; however, if the deer is in anormal pattern, like feeding or walking and it has not yet identified a threat,then the deers brain has to first identify the threat and then engage flight mode which takes up to a second, enough time for any arrow to strike its mark at 17 yards. It made sense to me and I'vefound that to be the casefrom my own observations. If this buck was on a doe, oblivious tothe hunterspresence,now way is it jumping the string at 17 yards. He also saidin the articlethat there is a distance where string jump is impossible even for an alert deer, I think it was 10 yards but I forgot for sure.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dopler

ORIGINAL: TFOX

You came to the right guy for this argument ;-).

The speed of sound is around 767 mph, an average carbon arrow travels at around 200 mph.Meaning that the arrow will travel about 5 of those 17yards before the deer hears the string. In the remaining 12 yards, the deer will have approximately 1 tenth of a second to react to the noise. Imaginehaving 1/10th of a second to react to a surprising noise?

I read a very interestingarticle several years ago by a wildlife biologist and avid hunterabout deer string jump.He did tests on deer and tested the deers reflexes. The conclusion of the study was that once a deer is alert, meaning it's looking at something that's spooked it or it's heard something that has it on hightened alert it can react to sound or danger in an instant and can potentially jump the string atbowhunting ranges; however, if the deer is in anormal pattern, like feeding or walking and it has not yet identified a threat,then the deers brain has to first identify the threat and then engage flight mode which takes up to a second, enough time for any arrow to strike its mark at 17 yards. It made sense to me and I'vefound that to be the casefrom my own observations. If this buck was on a doe, oblivious tothe hunterspresence,now way is it jumping the string at 17 yards. He also saidin the articlethat there is a distance where string jump is impossible even for an alert deer, I think it was 10 yards but I forgot for sure.
A second?? I think not. A second is an eternity in that situation.

On the subject...

Where were you aiming at this buck? It sounds like you hit him good. Like VA said, find the arrow and that will answer a lot of questions.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Longer shots are less likely of experiencing string jumping IMO. I've seen video of a fellow board member's hunt where the arrow went EXACTLY where he'd aimed.....at about the same yardage (17yds). When the arrow got there....the target had moved. The video was amazing to watch in slo-mo.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Typical Buck

If I were you and its not suppose to rain I would wait till morning to go get him sounds like he is hit

Quick Reply: DID I HIT HIM????....HES HIT (update pg 3)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.