Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missed a coyote but shot a nice PA 8 pt (added new pics on pg 4)

Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Missed a coyote but shot a nice PA 8 pt (added new pics on pg 4)

On Monday, I made a quick stop by my hunting spot and found a pipeline construction company there. Turns out they are working on new lines and would be in the area all week. I went in to mark a spot for my Dad in the morning and found a brand new ladder stand, fresh shooting lanes and all. Discouraged, I called my Dad and let him know what was going on. He opted not to come out and was going to hunt around home. I decided to go anyway because I had the day off. Turned out to be a good decision.

I woke up and drove to the spot half expecting the place to be full of cars. Luckily, I was the first one there. I headed up the ridge and climbed a familiar tree. Waiting for first light, I started thinking back to my buck from last year shot from a tree not 10 yards away. At 7:15am I heard the unmistakable sound of a deer trotting thru the woods. I looked over and saw a buck running down the access road. I grunted and turned him into the woods. At 45 yards I realized he was not going to make it up my way and the small 8 worked his way off.

About 7:55am, I again heard some rustling and saw a coyote on the ridge behind me. It worked its way off and all was silent until around 9am. I saw a large doe feeding in front of me about 60 yards out. She fed out of site and that was it for a while.

Around 10:00am I heard something moving thru the woods and turned to see the coyote back on the scene. He worked his way up behind me and was now standing at the base of my tree. He started walking away and I drew the bow back and settled in at about 7 yds. All of a sudden he starts trotting and I moved the pin up on him and released the arrow missing him just to the left. A coyote would have been a nice way to end the morning.

About 10 minutes later, I realized just how cold I was and packed up my stuff and zipped my bag. I turned around to give it one more scan and there stood a buck about 80 yards away and moving parrallel to my stand. I nocked an arrow, and found my CAN and gave it a turn. He immediately turned up the hill and started closing the gap. He was rubbing trees along the way and tearing the place up. I let him walk past my stand until he was quartering away and when he was 15 yards He stopped. I let the arrow go and thought I hit him a little far back but angled forward. I watched him run down the hill and stand about 65 yards away. I hung up the bow and got out the binoculars and could see the exit wound and it looked good. He stood there for a good 2 minutes and then started swaying. I watched him roll over and that was it. I sat back down and took it all in.

First I called my Dad and then my 5 year old son and told him all about. It was a great way to end was a rather disappointing season up until this morning.

Here's a shot of my arrow.

Here is a shot from the base of my stand showing the buck laying.

Here is shot when I was walking up to him.

and a few of the happy hunter.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Missed a coyote but shot a nice PA 8 pt

Congrat's
Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 AM

nicely done....Great buck!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

I would take the miss on a yote for a deer any day..
Congrats
Old 11-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats again teammate!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright Pops! Good work man, that is a fine buck.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!!!!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey congrats! Good thing you didn't leave 5 mins earlier.... nice buck!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTG, very nice buck. Sounds like there was allot of movement around you all the time. Congrats on a fine buck.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Yotes dont taste as good as deer anyways lol. Nice deer

Quick Reply: Missed a coyote but shot a nice PA 8 pt (added new pics on pg 4)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.