Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Somebody with OT2 or similar

Old 11-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Somebody with OT2 or similar

I'm looking at an arrow approx. 550gr.....shot from a 2008 Bowtech Allegiance @ 60#'s / 29" DL.

Any idea on arrow speed? I'm trying ot figure FP/KE.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:08 PM

Default RE: Somebody with OT2 or similar

speed or smooth?

Speed mods, with a peep, dloop, and nock point on string 60# at 29" it estimates 253 fps with a 550 grn arrow, meaning your KE output would be around 78.52 ft/lbs KE.

Quite a jump from a 360 grn arrow on same setup (68.42 ft/lbs)

Both KE and Momentum would go way up with the new arrow, you wont be blazing fast, but your bow will likely be noticeably more quiet on the shot as well...mine was when I jumped up weights, and I didnt even go as high as you plan to.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

MY KE is 71#'s right now.....so I'm wondering how you calculated everything. I'm shooting 290fps, now.....and was hoping to be in the 250fps range with the new arrow setup.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:30 PM

http://www.bowhuntingsafari.com/html/kinetic_energy_calculator.htm

Type in 366 @ 290....it tells you 68 ft/lbs.

OT2 calculates your speed at 291.48 for 366 grn arrow, pretty close to your real world numbers then.....it also calculates 68 and changefor KE.

Im not doing the calculations, OT2 is...which is why one buys this program.

Take em or leave em, I just typed in the basic numbers and it spit out those numbers. And like I said, OT2 says 366 is at 291, 550 is at 253...so if you are getting 290, id expect 251-252....Im curious to see how accurate your real world measurements reflect this.

It would help if you put which mods you shoot, and what exactly is on your string...then the number could be even more accurate, but it wont change much.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

You're exactly right. My apologies. I'm either off on my arrow weight or just plain entered the numbers wrong. I had it figured at almost 71 FP's before the season started.

I like the heavier arrow numbers.....just didn't know how to achieve the weights needed. I know, now, but I'm going to have to switch arrow brands it seems. I don't think the a/c/c's will allow the inserts I want.

I guess I'm in the market for a new hunting arrow. I'll need something with enough spine to handle the 200gr tip at those speeds (250-ish). I'm also going back to 4" vanes and 6" reflective wraps.

250-ish fps is fine. I'll take that if I can get the extra weight.

So what's a good hunting arrow....lol?
Old 11-09-2008, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

You're exactly right. My apologies. I'm either off on my arrow weight or just plain entered the numbers wrong. I had it figured at almost 71 FP's before the season started.

I like the heavier arrow numbers.....just didn't know how to achieve the weights needed. I know, now, but I'm going to have to switch arrow brands it seems. I don't think the a/c/c's will allow the inserts I want.

I guess I'm in the market for a new hunting arrow. I'll need something with enough spine to handle the 200gr tip at those speeds (250-ish). I'm also going back to 4" vanes and 6" reflective wraps.

250-ish fps is fine. I'll take that if I can get the extra weight.

So what's a good hunting arrow....lol?
weight tubes can really up the weight, and wont change your spine, I dont think anyway, Id double check with a tuning guru on that first.....might be worth looking into...alot cheaper than a completely new arrow setup...I think I remember you saying you already shoot stiff spined arrows, which means you could bump up to a 125 to 150 grn BH without being weak, still get into the desired weight range, and still have plenty of FOC since the weight tube distributes it evenly.

Thats how I would go. If not, FMJs are pretty heavy, overall I like mine ok, but they are pretty expensive. They have been extremely durable except for the one I shot and deflected on that 8 point, when I pulled it from ground, it was broken off at BH, never seen this, straight break clean across, looks like someone crudely cut it with an arrow saw...but, upon further examination, the BH was in the ground where it smashed into a rock.

I have shot them over a year now, the only 2 ive lost have been a spine shot doe who rolled over and thrashed on this arrow (would break any arrow IMO) and the miss that hit a rock.