Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fun hunt. They're ruttin' in Indiana

Old 11-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fun hunt. They're ruttin' in Indiana

The last week, the high temperatrures have really affected the rut in my opinion. I saw nothing all week besides a single doe, and in the early season I was seeing 5-7 deer a sit from this particular stand. A modest cold front came through last night and it helped. I sat that same stand and saw 4 bucks, 3 in the morning, 1 in the evening.1 of them chasing a doe at about 60-70 yards out.No day time activity at this stand but grunting and chasing.One was the nice 8 I hope I get a shot at. All but 1 had their nose bobbin on and off of the ground, running and scent checking.

I had a cool experience with a spike also. I drug scent on the way to my stand on a certain trail I know the does frequent, and about 15 minutes after daybreak I hear running, and see a spike charging full speed down the trail with his nose to the ground. I knew right away I wasn't gonna shoot him, so I reached for the camera. He came within 7 steps from the base of my tree and walks broadside, just asking for it.. But I want my first buck with a bow to be a littlemore mature..not a monster, just a tad bigger. I guessI'll have to continue to be patient.

Any one else seeing rutting activity? Where are you hunting?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fun hunt. They're ruttin' in Indiana

sounds good I am in sullivan south of terre haute i have taken just about every day off in the last 2 to 2 1/2 weeks due to warm temps and i need to get some stuff done around the house. i plan to go out in the morning. It has been atleast 2 weeks since i hit my stand so i hope it is still there.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

We're gettin' the same thing in Southern IL. Glad to see the cooler weather.

Dan
Old 11-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a decent 8 all over a doe this morning up in north central indiana. Let him walk at 10 yards, hoping something bigger is in there.