Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

missed deer

Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default missed deer

ok i have a lot of questions here (YOU CAN SKIP READING THIS IS YOU DONT FEEL LIKE READING IT)
i was hunting today in my blind, everything was perfect. i had out all of my buck and doe estrus scent, i had a scent trail, i was not cold, i wasnt bored, all my clothes were scent free..........but anyway back to what i was gonna say i was out for a couple hours and i just put down my bow for a minute, and a little doe comes walking across the trail(where i am hunting is im in a blind on a fenceline and there is one big 20 ft wide trail facing the front of me and a smaller but still big one to the right and in the middle is some brush) . i tried to grab my bow in time but she already walked away. about an hour later another doe walks out and im ready. i think its about 30 yards and use my 30 pin and shoot and miss. then out pops another one and i didnt have another arrow nocked yet so it went and then abother one i missed again. i was pretty mad becasue i thougth i hit the second one but i didnt. well i went out to see if i could find my arrows and they were both low. and it turns out the spot where the deer walked by was 48 YARDS!!!!!!!!!! i was way off.
so heres the questions:
-if im hunting and theres a deer broadside 50 yards away how do i get it to come closer? before it goes into the brush?
-how do you estimate how far away a deer is?

Old 11-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: missed deer

Try and call to the deer.

Buy a ranger finder and start practicing.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg, I am gonna tell you a way to estimate how far deer are from you. Each walking pace step I take is approximately 1 yard. I use walking steps to mark my targets when I practice. So when I get in a hunting situation, I can quickly assess how many "yards" it is to a target. I may be off in actual true yardage, but in my mind the yardage is right on, because that is the standard I use both in practice and in live situations.

When you are walking around, start looking at objects and estimate how far they are from you....then walk to that object walking off "yards" like I described above. Do it over and over until you start to come very close to your estimation.

Once you get in the tree or groundblind, mentally scan the area and find objects that are approximately 20 yards away, 30 yards away, 40 yards away, etc., and etch those distances in relationship to those objects in your mind. Tell yourself, I can shoot out to that stump at "30" yards and no farther. Keep looking around while you are on stand and estimate objects, it helps train your brain.

If you have the ability to purchase a 3D deer target, it helps tremendously. Even though I don't currently own one, it was instrumental in helping me judge the distance of the deer when I began bowhunting. I would walk off without looking at the target, turn around and make a decision to shoot based on my distance. If I determined I was able to shoot based on distance (for me it is 30 yards or less), I would aim and fire using my best estimation at how far the deer was....after a couple of months I could be shooting and estimating at an average of around only +/- 2 yards every time. It helped me a ton. You can also do the same with a normal target.

Best of luck to you mossberg...I know you will succeed.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Stick some flags or cans out in the opening to mark 20, 30, 40 yards. If you on the ground it should be easy to judge this distance with markers...Just pace the distances out...
Old 11-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Mossberg, I am gonna tell you a way to estimate how far deer are from you. Each walking pace step I take is approximately 1 yard. I use walking steps to mark my targets when I practice. So when I get in a hunting situation, I can quickly assess how many "yards" it is to a target. I may be off in actual true yardage, but in my mind the yardage is right on, because that is the standard I use both in practice and in live situations.

When you are walking around, start looking at objects and estimate how far they are from you....then walk to that object walking off "yards" like I described above. Do it over and over until you start to come very close to your estimation.

Once you get in the tree or groundblind, mentally scan the area and find objects that are approximately 20 yards away, 30 yards away, 40 yards away, etc., and etch those distances in relationship to those objects in your mind. Tell yourself, I can shoot out to that stump at "30" yards and no farther. Keep looking around while you are on stand and estimate objects, it helps train your brain.

If you have the ability to purchase a 3D deer target, it helps tremendously. Even though I don't currently own one, it was instrumental in helping me judge the distance of the deer when I began bowhunting. I would walk off without looking at the target, turn around and make a decision to shoot based on my distance. If I determined I was able to shoot based on distance (for me it is 30 yards or less), I would aim and fire using my best estimation at how far the deer was....after a couple of months I could be shooting and estimating at an average of around only +/- 2 yards every time. It helped me a ton. You can also do the same with a normal target.

Best of luck to you mossberg...I know you will succeed.
thanks ill try that. but until then i think ill put out a couple flags
Old 11-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

man sorry to heart that good luck to ya tommorow
Old 11-08-2008, 03:04 PM

If you cant move the deer closer to you, move closer to the deer[8D]
Old 11-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

If you cant move the deer closer to you, move closer to the deer[8D]
easier said then done when ur hunting a field buddy and the deer are already used to wheere ur blind is
Old 11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

do you think the wooden stakes i put out as yard markers tonight will afffect tomorrow mornings hunt?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

im not sure but i guess u have already found out ill call u tonight when i get in from hunting

Quick Reply: missed deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.