Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Helical question

Old 03-31-2003, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Helical question

Fletch

Regardless of differing opinions, especially when based on experience, all is relevant. It is like going into a candy store with hundreds of jars of different kinds of candy to choose from. All look good, some are not good; but in the end it is the person who is eating the candy that decides which candy suits their taste.

I do not have any experience with drop-away rests, but your analysis that the rest could be a culprit -and why, sounds righteous enough to make me follow your suggestion if I was shooting a drop-away.....which I would never use...a drop-away, that is.
Old 04-01-2003, 10:33 AM

PS: How old is your bow and how many arrows do you believe you have shot off the bow?

The bow is 1 year old and probably has 300+/- shots through it.

I had some serving wear near the cam but that is all. I just got it back from the shop last week. There are no worn out parts on this bow........except maybe the shooter

Old 04-01-2003, 10:39 AM

Atlas, Have you spray tested the cable linkage on the rest. Thats the only thing thats making sense to me because I have seen it with the Naps and hard cable before. You wont see that much difference in grouping with f.pts. or mechs but if its sometimes banging the shaft with b.hds.
I have not tried that. The TRX has a low monted cable arm so the NAP cable stays nice and low and I really don' t even see how it could contact the arrow shaft..........but hey you never know??? I never thought an arrow would flex the way it does until I saw that Easton video either.

I will give it a shot......or two

Old 04-01-2003, 10:42 AM

As for " Atlas' " problem, sure is beginning to point to the drop-away rest.

It is??? Why do you say that??
Old 04-01-2003, 12:16 PM

Atlas

Not the rest itself.

Seems as though you have eliminated other possibilites. Therefore, I will allow Fletch to take the lead. He seems to know the arrow-rest and some things about the rest that can cause erratic arrow flight.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:01 PM

Sorry Atlas, that I didnt get back to this. I havent been on in a few days. Im like you. If the cable rods low mounted I cant imagine it making contact either. It might be wise to follow C903s advice. Take the tension off and check for wear on the cam bearing or a bent axle. Other than that Im totally out of ideas.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:29 AM

Atlasman,
It seems as though you' ve done your homework in trying to find the problem. Fletch and C903 have both given you good advice. Sometimes tuning is a simple process and sometimes it makes you pull your hair out.

The only other thing I can think of is that your shafts are possibly right on the borderline for spine. I' m not familiar with those shafts so I can' t speak from experience where they are concerned. I can say however, that some of the charts seem to be a bit off these days. The bows have gotten much faster which in turn demands more spine from the arrow shafts. I think some of the arrow charts are being left behind by some of the newer/faster bows.

A slightly underspined shaft can literally drive you crazy because it can paper tune and shoot field points perfectly, but the fact that it' s wobbling through the air like a wet noodle makes it go haywire with broadheads. I don' t know if this is your problem, but it would be worth looking into. You can turn your bow down a few turns and then go through the tuning process again. Make sure you' re still getting bullet holes and groups and then try your broadheads again. If this fixes your problem and you want to shoot the heavier weight, you can always go up in spine on your arrow.

I have had problems with underspined shafts in the past, but have never had any problems getting extra stiff shafts to tune. Just thought I would suggest it.

Good luck getting it shooting properly.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]