Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt the Rain?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 AM

Default Hunt the Rain?

Going to NY this weekend on our second trip thereof the season. It was nice & cold last month in the 20's-30's in the morning and good weather. Looks like rain all weekend (hunting 4 days, raining 4 days) with warmer temps.

Your success in the rain????
Old 11-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunt the Rain?

I bowhunt in Orange County, NY, near swamps, and pines, and if it's raining I head to the swamp. It seems they come out of the swamp more, move a lot more feeding, not too keen on the scent, heads stay down longer, and just a different kind of hunting.I walk, find a place to stand with somecover, and wait it out. Had deer walk right by me in light and heavy rains, without even getting a "What's that" kinda look. And your right, it looks like that type of weather this weekend, but hopefully, it'll stay kinda dry for the early morning, and do a little stalkin after 11:00.Good luck .
Old 11-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its a light rain or drizzle, I'll be in it all day. Deer do seem to be a little more relaxed with a light rain. I keep my shots shorter in the rain because of how difficult it will be tracking.

Best thing you can do is either invest is some decent rain gear or one of those tree umbrella's. I personally like the umbrella because it keeps me and my equipment drier. Also, add an extra layer of clothing. The dampness can sap a lot of heat out of you, even though it may not be very cold. Those chilly rains can be a real killer.

Another good thing about the rain is it helps dilute your scent. I've been told your scent actually goes toward the ground much quicker in rain.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Bartender

Just Hunt!
Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

My weekend forecast is clear, but as I said in my other post, I'm headed out tomorrow for a 10 day hunt. We're hunting Arkansas this weekend, but moving to Missouri to bow hunt the week before gun season opens. They're calling for showers Monday through Friday.[:@] Still, my son and I will be in the trees taking advantage of the "hunters moon" on the 13th as well as the "orange army" coming into the area on Wednesday through Friday and pushing the deer around while they scamper all over the woods looking for a place to hunt. The light rain won't matter. If a deer falls within 100 yards, I'll be able to see it fall where I'm hunting.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

On tuesday it was cloudy all day with a misting rain off and on. Around 2:30pm it started raining. 30 minutes later I had one deer pass on the right and I shot the one on my left. The rain didn't slow them down any . They live in the weather so its going to have to be pretty bad to keep them from going about their daily routines.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not a fan of hunting In the rain. Blood trails make me nervous and we've all seen these deer go allot farther then there suppose to on a great shot. That's my reason.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cant kill em from the cabin thats for sure!
Old 11-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like hunting in the rain, a down pour.... not so much, but a light or even steady rain doesnt seem to slow thedeer down during Novembers rut. Drizzle like many have said is one of my favorite times to be hunting. The right clothing goes a long ways under these conditions. Hunting pressure is always down on raining days. Heavier wind and rain, usually sucks.