Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So help me guys... what should I do

Old 11-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default So help me guys... what should I do

So I went to my go-to stand this evening and I thought it was going to be myfirst evening sitand not see any deer. But at the end of the evening, I heard movement in the thicket, and I knew where to watch for him to come out... the apple tree. Sure enough my second on stand buck siting had happened, a tall 4pnt, or something like that.

I watched him as light faded through my binos, and I knew he wasnt something I wanted to shoot. But as I wached him as he came out into the field after grunting at him a couple of times for fun, I noticed he "jumped" every step. Then I noticed he would not let his left front leg touch the ground. It was too dark for me to shoot him. He favored it badly, It was dark-thirty and the Fiance was numbing my leg with her phone calls, So I answered it, spoke to her a couple seconds while watching him through my binos, my phone was like a beacon, He nailed me. I kept grunting hoping to seem natural. He returned to feeding and I tried to get down. He snorted but didnt go far, and returned to feeding.The only reason I could see this deer through the binos, was because of the moonlight and a neighboring outdoor light. I continued down and returned to my vehicle. I never heard him run but I dont thinkhe can run to be honest.

So say your hunting here, would you try to take this buck out? I dont know if deer's broken(if indeed broke) can heal.?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So help me guys... what should I do

i would wait to see if you can find him in more light and see if you can see if there is a spot where someone shot him, or if there is a leg broken. knowing that i would take him out. but other than that i dont know man it would be your call.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found a couple picks on my cam, He could have potential if he's not permanetly hurt.

It almost looks as if he's favoring it in the pics, I have some more I'll have to study.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

You make that call at the moment of truth.....and I'll trust your judgement.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer do fine on 3 legs. Let him be.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

And just for the record, I'm not trying to justify shooting a little buck. I watched him and he was just having a hard time getting around. I may never see him again. But Im going back to that stand tommorrow morning and evening. We'll see I guess.