Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow Safety Chart

Old 11-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow Safety Chart

Hey guys,

I'm looking for one of those charts where it gives the draw weight, arrow length and then minimum arrow weight to go with these factors, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, if one is to shoot an arrow that is under the minimum recommended size what kind of repercussions does this entail? Is it dangerous for the bow, the game or for yourself? Thanks for the insight.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow Safety Chart

Assuming by "size" you mean spine.

First off, if you are under or over spined the arrow will generally have accuracy and consistancy issues.
If an arrow is severely under of over spined you could run the risk of the arrow cracking, splitting or possible breaking when the string is released. I've not seen this but in severe cases i would imagine it is possible. If that were to happen yes there could be a danger to yourself. If the shaft of the arrow were to become damaged and you didnt notice it and you tried to shoot it again it could split and wind up in your arm, hand etc

If an over or underspined arrow makes it off the bow undamaged there is no real danger to the animal other than the fact that it is about to be killed by said arrow if it is hit.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

the rule of thumb for almost EVERY bow out there is the arrow must weigh atleast 5 grains per pound of draw weight.

example...your draw weight is 70lbs. your arrow must then weigh 350 or more grains to be covered under the manufacturers warranty. the arrow weight is finished arrows...including shaft, fletching, insert, nock and tip. if its too low, it can be very dangerous...usually blowing up the bow. ive seen pics of bows in about 100 pieces....

theres verrrrrrry few bows that number is different.

if your talking arrow spine, every arrow manufacturer uses different numbers for spine. you have to look at their charts....too weak of spine, and you can blow up the arrow, and possibly bow.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any arrow manufaturer's web site dhould have the charts available online, I know gold tip's do....Danny pretty much hit it on the head about being under-spined....
Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, you guys are talking about "rule of thumb" or manufacturer requirements. He looking for the "AMO Minimum Arrow Weight chart". You can find it on www.bowjackson.com