Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How have you hunted public land?

Old 11-03-2008, 12:24 PM

Default How have you hunted public land?

I know it's hard to tell from just topo maps, but with my limited ability to access private land and time constraints, I think I might have to do most of my bow hunting on public land, which I haven't had much experience with. Without any scouting and just a bit of information from some people who have hunted here - I know a lot of you are good at narrowing down the area with your experience and knowledge.

So I would appreciate any help or suggestions from the forum. Thanks in advance

Below are some maps of the area - any idea of where to concentrate initially?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How have you hunted public land?

I would personally look into hunting that draw on the eastern half of the property close to the golf course, deer like green grass and probably walk out on the course at night and feed. Concentrate on that far draw which will act as a funnel for the deer. Also it is far from any road and so there will likely be fewer hunters in that area. Do you know how many acres this is?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

My thoughts exactly. They probably stage in the woods right near the eastern part of the course just before daylight.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gundeck

My thoughts exactly. They probably stage in the woods right near the eastern part of the course just before daylight.
X3...somewhere halfway between the golf course and that creek, or along that creek itself. Just go in that area and find a major trail, and throw up a stand 20 yards off of it, and on which ever side the wind will be in your favor for a N-NW wind direction.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 PM

gbrownlee- from the scale on google maps - I gather that it is about 640 acres +/- some