Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

LoneWolf Alpha TreeStand + or -

Old 11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: LoneWolf Alpha TreeStand + or -

Ive never used that stand, but I highly recommend checking out an equalizer. I love mine, and my buddies are all trading in for one.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

I started this thread looking for something lighter and sometimes quiter.
I currently use a Gorilla greyback climber.
I really like it and how it works other then it being 26lbs and every once in a while the cable will make a noise on smaller trees.
The uppers on both top and bottom pivot and fold up.
They change angles to meet the size of the tree that you are climbing.
On smaller trees they are angled in to meet the size of the tree, this makes it tight on the hips for sitting or trying to stand.
The tight angle ( smaller trees ) is also the sorce of the noise that sometimes happens.
I like the look of the Treewalker and I see that the uppers arefixed and tree size is made up by the cable.
The hip area of the seat stays the same ( nice ).
I also like the lightweight and 350lb weight limit of the Treewalker.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I've been up in my LW sit and climb over 40 times, this year alone. It started out as a love/like relationship....but I've grown to love it and consider it my go-to, now.

The only way to get a lighter stand in the Ol man line is to go with their "pro" series. I don't know anyone who has one (to know if you have noise issues with the differing materials .......or any design changes)....and the regular one I see touted here so much weighs almost THIRTY POUNDS. Good luck with that....lol. Also...to get an idea of what I'm talking about....Summit makes a model of the Viper in steel (in lieu of the more popular aluminum model). I GUARANTEE you the steel model is quieter than the aluminum model.....but that comes at a price. Weight. Just AN example.

On smaller trees they are angled in to meet the size of the tree, this makes it tight on the hips for sitting or trying to stand.
I'm just guessing....but I'd bet this might be an issue, too.

The LW sit and climb packs to 5" in thickness.....rides high on your back.....and is a dream to pack in. Difference in weight between it and my Summit isn't huge. How it rides on my back is awesome, though. No contest, it's better. I'd check the dimensions of stands I was interested in, too. For myself....I don't want to carry a large stand in and out (as much as I climb). If I ony climbed a few times a year....I don't suppose I'd worry about the things I do so much.....and I might consider a different model.

NO rail in the way of your shot (nice!). Fully open front (if you want it to be.....sometimes I keep the rail there). Whisper quiet (the platform....when you adjust or move/slide your feet across it).

Good luck with your choice.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I've been up in my LW sit and climb over 40 times, this year alone. It started out as a love/like relationship....but I've grown to love it and consider it my go-to, now.
NO rail in the way of your shot (nice!). Fully open front (if you want it to be.....sometimes I keep the rail there). Whisper quiet (the platform....when you adjust or move/slide your feet across it).
Ahh! I knew you'd come around and see the light. Glad you like your stand.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Get you a net seat for that Sit and Climb, or if you have the old flat thin seat, you can fold it over on itself and use the strap to keep it together, then set it with the front slightly higher and you will sit longer more comfortably. You will not have the back rest with either option, but I do not need it. Both options will slide back out of the way when you stand up, a bigplus for me.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff, question on the LW cause I'm curious. Can you stand flat up against the tree or is that seat and bar in the way?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a treewalker this year at the GA buck-a-rama and climb exclusively. I got a real deal at the show...I am very impressed and I actually went there to buy a summmit. For "ME" there was no comparison. I am not scared to try new things as my signature will tell you...If I can ever get a big boy to stand still you will see a guardian in the picture with him...but I am not open to trying new stands for quite awhile. Rob, if you want to try the treewalker let me know and we will figure something out...I could ship it to you and when you form an opinion good or bad just ship it back. My season ends Jan 31st so if you're interested just remind me.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeff, question on the LW cause I'm curious. Can you stand flat up against the tree or is that seat and bar in the way?
The bar in the "lowered" position hits you about mid calf (or it does me). That's the position they suggest hunting from....and it unorthodox, really. I step outside the rail.....raise it to the "up" position.....then use the strap under the seat to secure it to the bar (takes about 5 seconds). In that position....I can get tight to the tree.

Honestly....if I had to hunt with it in the "down" position....I'd get a new stand. It's actually better (all around) to stay "inside" the rail on the upper. I can "not" strap the seat back to the tree......and secure the bottom of the seat to the seat back strap (sounds complicating.....but the guys who have them likely know what I'm saying) the same way I would do it to the bar, above, in the "up" position.

Even when the seat back is strapped to the tree....when you're inside the rail....you're able to get tight to the tree if you flip up the seat bottom. I can now do this with my leg....lol, while standing, without having to touch it.