Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Made a mistake!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default Made a mistake!

Last night I was hunting when I spotted a buck approaching my stand. He was about 85 yards away and about to cross a creek to get to my side. As I stood up to get my bino's on him, I lifted the seat on my Lone Wolf Alfa hang-on and it made a loud creak! I've left this stand out for the past 2 seasons and this was only the second time of the season that I have sat there. The buck instantly froze at the edge of the creek and remained motionless for 5 minutes (I timed it!). He then gave the "all is clear" tail flick and proceeded to cross the creek over to my side. He got behind a tree that was broken near the top with it's crown bent over and touching the ground. Again, he stayed motionless for 5 minutes before proceeding. After that, he cautiously walked out into the open where I recognized him as one of the big 8 pointers that I had previously passed on. He continued on cautiously and went into a corn field where I observed him eat an ear of corn before walking out of sight.

The point is....... I do not think that it would have been a good shot, even though he was in the wide open at 25 yards, broadside. He was just too wired. His extreme skittishness was caused by me creaking the seat of my stand. It just goes to show that it is wise to know the nuances of all of your stands. Had I raised up the seat slowly it wouldn't have made a sound. I have another stand where I have to carefully position my feet when it's cold out before making a shot. The tree is a very large oak with thick, deep bark that will make a groaning sound when you put pressure on the platform. I actually called in a buck that I had no intention of shooting when I stepped further out on my stand to get a better look at him!

The bottom line is to know your equiptment and how to treat it or you could alert or scare off the buck you've been waiting for.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Made a mistake!

good point. Good thing it wasnt a big shooter
Old 11-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is always a chance of crap like that happening, even if you know your gear! Better luck the next pass he makes!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: wi_buckstomper

good point. Good thing it wasnt a big shooter
Yeah! It was only a 135" 8 pointer.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hear ya there Greg. When the temps get In the single digits around here I have to be very careful on how I step and move my weight on my stand. If I'm not to careful, I'll get a ping sound from the wire mesh on my hang on stand (I make my own stands). It pisses me off to no end, I wish I knew how to quite this noise up!

135" 8 point, send him my way!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

I know what you mean Greg. I have sitting in my old LocOn stand and the seat creaks bad unless I sit flush against the tree. But I hate to exchange it with one of my newer stands now for fear of being caught.

By the way if that 135 was near me I'd be shooting! I haven't seen one P&Y buck yet[:-].
Old 11-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Bartender

You made a 2nd mistake you should be in your stand all day instead of typing here.[8D]
Old 11-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Even The sit and climbs and hand climberscan/will creak, if you don't inspect all the bolts every so often to insure they are tight. It also usually happens at weight shift. Usually a once a year check will keep them quiet all season.

Make sure your path to your bow hanger is clear too..nothing like reaching for the bow with one hand while your other eye is on the prize and the nocked arrow hits a limb and falls noisily against some part of the bow not covered in mole-skin!

I know all the Vets know this, but since it is a good thread, for the newer bow hunters in our ranks..I thought i'd throw it out there.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: peakrut

You made a 2nd mistake you should be in your stand all day instead of typing here.[8D]
I overslept my nap!

Besides, I know you're not typing this from your stand!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

I wish I could hunt with you and shoot your cull bucks. 135", send him my way.
Chris

Quick Reply: Made a mistake!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.