Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Two weeks in and I'm 0-2.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Spike

Default Two weeks in and I'm 0-2.

Had a nice little evening hunt today. Sat from 4 until dark. I'm set up in a tree that is about 15 yards off of a heavy used doe trail. There is a spruce pine tree between me and their trail, so I'm concealed until they get into position for the shot. At 6:15 two does came strolling down the trail. One stopped at 18 yards quartering away with her head down. I drew back, put that pin behind her shoulder and counted 1 mississippi 2 mississippi 3, and let her fly.... the result - a big fat BLAHHHH. She flintched a little. I missed her to the left. I shot to the left of her chest and under her neck. I'm sighted in dead at 20 yards on the ground, but in the tree my arrow is definately NOT going where my pin is. Should I switch to a pendulum sight? What the heck is my problem?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Two weeks in and I'm 0-2.

If you are dead on at 20 from the ground then you can eliminate that as a reason to miss at 18 yards from a tree. If you missed in front of her I would say you are either torqing sp? the bow or you hit your arm.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

It is almost never the bow. Have you tryed shooting from a stand? Back years ago I thought it was because I was not on the ground, then I got up on my house roof and shot, guess what it hit right were I was aiming. My problem was that I was flintching, trying to see the arrow hit the deer. Took me forever to get rid of that.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Spike

Honestly, deep down I don't think its the bow either, (no matter what I keep telling myself.) I think I'm watching my arrow instead of concentrating on my target as well. Are there any tips or drills to get out of this habit?

All I know is that it all happens so fast that after the shot is over and the deer runs I'm like okay what just happened.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Have you practiced with all your clothes, equipment on? If I forget to button up my coat near my neck, I will be off. Are you shooting cut on contact broadheads and if so, have you practiced with them?

Simulate as much as possible what is happening "on the front line". Evenwear your safety harness.