Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time in a bottle?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Time in a bottle?

I had that situation once, well actually twice in my life. Got laid off the day before archery season one year, and proceeded to shoot a dink buck, 1 week into the season. Dumb move. Although I did get a lot of small gaming in that year.

The other time I had been laid off a while & was shooting does left & right. Was about to start work again and drilled a mediocre buck a few days before going back.

If I had that situation now, I doubt my standards would change, as they are decently high for where I hunt, the biggest factor would be whether all that free time allowed me to hunt places capable of letting me raise my standards.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'd travel more, hunt Eastern Wash and Montana as much as I do Idaho right now. I'm 50 minutes from Wash and 1 hour from Montana.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

And this is what it looks like in my woods. If the Navy didn't need some drive parts for their stupid submarines I would be out there right now.

Maybe your parts are making them smaaaarta (boston accent)

Nice pics you working fool!
Don't forget, the government has screwed you, maybe it's your turn!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:34 AM

If I had all the time in the world, then I would spend more time before season scouting. I don't know if I would sit more (increase in hunting pressure) but maybe through better scouting, I would have better success. I hunt on small acreage, and still don't have enough time to scout enough, been there 2 years and still learning the lay of things and trying to pattern the deer. Maybe my stock investing would improve as well LOL.

P.S. Beautiful picture, makes me want to get out there! We never get snow down here.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think it would make a huge positive difference.More time to scout,setting stands in hotter area's.Able to hunt the best day's from a weather perspective,before or after fronts coming in.Getting plenty of rest so there would be no burn out factor.Hunting neighboring states.
I would think that with all these things in someone's favor that their standards would likely increase.In my home area I wouldn't imagine them changing much but I would be happy if there were reasons to increase them.