Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why did he die so quickly?

Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why did he die so quickly?

I hit a doe a little far back this year, no liver, somehow snuck it right under the backbone and must have hit the artery right under the spine you guys are talking about. She dropped in 20 yards, and was pumping blood.

This thread kind of answered my question to, on why she died so quickly.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: blakefrautschi

somehow snuck it right under the backbone and must have hit the artery right under the spine you guys are talking about. She dropped in 20 yards, and was pumping blood.
If i remember my High School Biology correctly there are 2. The Superior Vena Cava which returns deoxygenated Bloodfrom the upper half of the body and the Inferior Vena Cava which does the same for the lower half of the body. I think it is safe to assume it is similar for Whitetails. And as already mentioned, the Liver filters the blood. Also, while I'm boring you with useless information, don't forget that a rapid loss of blood pressure quickly causes loss of consciousness.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Kid,

Your bio teachers would be proud.

Solid.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am, gonna go with it hit a major artery....instant loss of bloodpressure.

Shane
Old 10-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

I blew a does liver out opening morning this year and she only went 30 yards. I watched her fall right over. That is the shortest I have ever had a deer go, and Ive put quite a few in the boiler room before.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:56 PM

Your shot likely included one of the two:

1) Portal Vein which is a vein that takes blood into the liver from hindend. This vein is probably the size of your thumb if not larger.

2) Descending Aorta which is a artery that takes blood from the heart back to the back half of the body. This runs directly under the spine(it is also very large) which several have talked about.

Both will bleed/kill a deer very quickly.

As far as a generic liver shot....If you don't get one of the major hepatic vessels (liver veins) or the portal vein (going into liver from body) or inferior vena cava (leaving liver and going to heart) then it will likely bea slower kill (which some have eluded to).

Hope this helps.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The liver is highly vascular so there will be massive blood loss that much is for sure, however depending on what part of the liver that you hit determines how fast he will bleed out and that determines far he could travel. Like some of the others stated some deer ran a ways and some didnt that goes along with my experience with liver hits.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:32 AM

Aortic artery was severed along with a good portion of the liver, would be my guess.

Spined my buck in 2006, not severely enough to immobilize him permanently. After 20 seconds of thrashing, he got up and blazed trail. Walked to the spot where he was hit and saw a clear two-foot wide blood trail leading through the timber. Gave him plenty of time to expire, but it was unnecessary. He bled out in under a minute.

Not a shot I was proud of, by any means, but it definitely put him down quickly.