Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scrapes and Rubs

Old 10-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scrapes and Rubs

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Oh yea, another idea about your problem:

What is your buck to doe ratio? If you have a lot of does, there is little need for a buck to advertise as much.
By the sounds of It Burnie I have to many doe's around. There Is a good number of bucks here too but the majority of them are 1.5 year olds. I guess It never crossed my mind that having to many doe's around would give me a problem such as I got. This has been going on for along time now, not just the last few years. We have plenty of deer around, just nothing of great quality as It once was. Our bag limits In my area are one. Pretty sad hah!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

originalukemichaels
When does outnumber bucks alot.. bucks don't have to go very far.
I realize that there is not one exact number that represents the "breaking point" and that it will vary somewhat from region to region, but what is condsidered the general number percentage wise or ratio wise that is considered by most biologists to be too many?

I estimate my areas to be a 1.8:3 buck to doe ratio (37.50% bucks) but this is just based on my observations and not scientific by no means. But for arguement sakes, lets say it is accurate. Is this a good number or should it be closer to 1:1?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

In college they told us that in a perfect world, does birthed twins. One buck, one doe. Ideally the herd should be 1:1. To predators, meat is meat, buck or doe. Without the influx of predators, and hunters and the regulations we have to follow, up until recent years, it was standard to shoot mostly bucks. The majority of the population (Not HNI hunters) would pick out a spike out of a group of 6 does and a spike and kill it just because it is a buck....given the choice. Bucks don't stand a chance except to get smart or die, in terms of numbers. Id say your ratio is pretty good for free range deer. Some parts of Eastern NC, Eastern SC can get to around 1:10....lucky bucks when it comes time to rut.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

I just started to see the really big scrapes open up here in Iowa the last few days. Maybe you were looking too soon.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jackflap

originalukemichaels
When does outnumber bucks alot.. bucks don't have to go very far.
I realize that there is not one exact number that represents the "breaking point" and that it will vary somewhat from region to region, but what is condsidered the general number percentage wise or ratio wise that is considered by most biologists to be too many?

I estimate my areas to be a 1.8:3 buck to doe ratio (37.50% bucks) but this is just based on my observations and not scientific by no means. But for arguement sakes, lets say it is accurate. Is this a good number or should it be closer to 1:1?

Thanks
1.8:1 is not a bad ratio at all. Most areas of the country are closer to 4:1 or greater.

I bet you have some fun when you rattle jf.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Acording to Charles Alsheimer the rut is delayed this year because the Rutting moon is late. He predicts that Nov 9-16 things pick up and the following week the bucks will go crazy.