Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Some Help on a hit Please.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need Some Help on a hit Please.

Educated guess puts the shot here IMO, you probably missed taken that deer out by less then an inch (spine):

Old 10-28-2008, 12:22 PM

From what I replay in my head, I woudl guess the entrance to be around here as it wasn't that close to being over his back....

Old 10-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

With a hit like that you are not going to get alot of blood. Find the arrow and do circles around it. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:24 PM

Keep looking and dont worry. Don't rush it either, look throurough. As cold as it has been lately the deer will keep for you so there is not rush to find it. Just make sure you dont walk right past it.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no reason to argue, but your dot in the original picture is just behind the corner of the shoulder blade (as shown in my second picture. It is extremely common for people to believe that the spine sits much higher on the deer then it actually does, especially in this area. Many, many people believe they hit a "void" area when in fact they shot above the spine. The deer would have been dead if hit slightly quartered away as shown in your second picture with 10 inches of penetration. It may not bleed much though.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to put a damper on your spirits, but my personalexperience with shots like that has not been good. Its really hard to say if you got enough of something to put him down. Look until you've exhausted all options, then look a little more. Good luck, I wish you the best.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

That’s a real tough one to answer. The spine dips pretty low up there. I’ve usually spined them on shots like that. Since you didn’t spine it, either you were a little higher & the deer lives or you were into the chest cavity and hope it was at an angle such to let you get both lungs. Otherwise things don’t look too promising. You’ll likely have a tough time even if catching both lungs with a high entrance and maybe no exit.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a tough one there!! Here's either right below the spine or right above It. I'm thinking above It but not 100% sure.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

sound like a good muscle shot, im leaning towards wounded deer walking and will continue to do so.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I have no reason to argue, but your dot in the original picture is just behind the corner of the shoulder blade (as shown in my second picture. It is extremely common for people to believe that the spine sits much higher on the deer then it actually does, especially in this area. Many, many people believe they hit a "void" area when in fact they shot above the spine. The deer would have been dead if hit slightly quartered away as shown in your second picture with 10 inches of penetration. It may not bleed much though.

I agree with this, since there is so much muscle and skin + fat to layer on this image of a skeletal structure of a deer, people ar not taking in the account for this.
So it does look like it is above the spine compared to the image with the dot and this skeletal image.
But i would not give up looking until it would be too late to recover anything of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.