Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

european mounts?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Default RE: european mounts?

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

Excellent post OK, and great looking skulls! You should try some SAL SODA next time, I bet it cuts your boiling time in 1/3. Its relatively cheap too.
This stuff is the key to quick and easy! It is sodium carbonbate which can also be found at WalMart in Arm & Hammer Washing Soda. Sal Soda is the better option since it doesn't have the soaps in it that the washing soda does so it doesn't leave a chaulky film if boiled too long. Sal Soda also whitens better than the washing soda so if you can, get Sal Soda, if not you can use the washing soda but plan on whitening it with salon strength hydrogen peroxide paste/gel (for highlighting hair). Boiling time for either Sal Soda or washing soda is only about 1/2 hour and you can do it on a Coleman Stove. Be sure not to get the antlers into the boil or they will bleach out.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: european mounts?

Remove all meat that you can, boil but try and keep as buch antler out as you can. Dont boil to long. You will have to do a little scraping from time to time. I remove brains with a wire and aircompressor air. If the teeth fall out glue back in with super glue. DONT soak in bleach and water, it slowly flakes the bone. Use 40% salon peroxide mixed with water. Keep antlers out nof solution. I wrap paper towles around the bases under the burr and keep wetted with solution, it will wick into the towles if you let them hang in solution. Soak for several days. rinse with water and let it sit in the sun for about a week. Get some Modge podge from a hobby store and seal the skull with it, the more you add the glossier. It looks like elmers white glue when put on but dries clear. be carful with the nasal bones they are very brittle and break easy.