Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

20MPH winds

Old 10-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 20MPH winds

Yes, this weather SUCKS!! It's Oct 28th, and the rut should be getting underway. High winds and rain, I'm just changing the batteries/card in my trail cam today. Good day for that anyway.I hunted ALL DAY yesterday and saw NO DEER. What's up with that?
Tomorrow it should be better weather, so I'll be in before first light, and hunt all day again. It's GOT to be starting this week!! I have seen NO chasing at all yet. I do agree with what you say about the wind Jeff. I too, rely on hearing them coming. I think they tend to sit tight for the same reasons we don't like to be in the woods. From tomorrow on, I'll be sittingregardless of what the weather bringsus though.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM

I have had some of my very best hunting on windy days. If I didn't hunt days with 20 mph or more winds, I would give up a lot. The wind just seems to blow up in North MO. I never rely on my hearing to tell me a deer is coming, cause to many times they show up silently (how, I don't know), so that part is a non-issue with me as well. Bottom line - high winds don't bother me in the least.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

On deer movement, Ihave found that deer don't like it much when its really windy. Even during the rut, they'll hole up and wait it out.

I've found the same.

- The last calm day I hunted, I saw 17 deer- (7 bucks)
- The last three times I've hunted, however,have been very breezy, windy days. All three of those days combined I've seen a total of 5 deer. Roughly one or two deer per sit.

So for my usual hunts, a nice calm day I usually see between 12-17 deer, when it's windy, I see maybe one or two.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 AM

I hunted yesterday and also this morning. Had a decent 8 pointer come in downwind of me last night. This morning I saw my biggest buck to date and he got within 35 yards of me. So yes, I hunt in high winds.

I'm going back out this evening to hopefully get my EAB doe.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I agree, hunting in windy conditions does offer you a chance at a buck or doe, you also have to keep in mind your safety in a stand, and your accuracy with an arrow in high gusty winds decreases. Like I said, winds wont keep me in the house, I just utilize cetain conditions . Nothing more fun than being able to stalk through a section of woods while looking for scrapes etc. Normally I go from point A to point B when going to and from stands so I dont get to venture around the woods much to check for sign etc.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:25 AM

I stalk from the ground in high winds and have real good success due to the amount of noise and motion the wind provides along with the fact that if it's blowing hard it usually isn't swirling.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

I'll hunt 25 mph winds, anything much more and its hard to get me out. I don't know whats worse though, high winds or being on stand and a toad drownder coming on. I've seen a few P&Y bucks on the move looking for does in pouring down cold rain, but have not seen a lot of movement in heavy winds........I'm talking 30 mph and above.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted Sunday night in a wind advisory. There was also some rain and hail mixed in with that. I thought I wasn't going to see any deer at all, but I figured I would give it a shot. I sat in a stand just off of a main trail that the deer take out into an alfalfa field. I saw a big doe and her two fawns walk right on out to the field. I didn't get a shot, but it was still good to see the deer moving in that weather.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff i hate hunting in high winds [:@]It wears me out from looking to, and my hearing sucks anyway []By the way I sent those winds to ya yesterday coutasy of Indiana [8D]I didnt want them anymore, and had to give em to somebody