Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

20MPH winds

Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 20MPH winds

On really windy days, I've found using terrain/habitat to my advantage works really well. I find areas that are naturally sheltered from the wind, either a huge thicket,a deep ravine, the opposite slope... and i hunt there. I've had decent sucess with that tactic.

Just think, "where would I go to seek shelter from the wind" then think, "is there food near or in there?"

One of my key spots has a huge pine woods w/ thick mountain laurel under them, I sneak in there on windy days...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim
if you are being blown about in your tree, you are in the wrong tree.[:-]
Amen! Besides, as far as I'm concerned, what's a little swaying in a tree when you've ridden out a hurricane on a Knox class frigate?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:18 AM
Bartender

Jeff the wind sucks and we had it up to 40-50 this past Sunday.
I wont do it anymore. Yeah you might be able to sneak up on a bedded
one playing the cross wind just right but im staying safe.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

The deer where i live seem to hate the wind. They hardly move and when they do its usually in the thick stuff (really thick) I have also noticed sitting the whole day in the wind on my property the deer dont cover a lot of ground. I have seen deer mill around the same small area all day, which is also uncommon for my property, and these deer are in high numbers with low pressure. Deer are different everywhere, but hunting in strong winds around me is usually tuff and could be considered a waste of time. its been windy here for the last two days, supposed to calm down tomorrow and when it does i will be out on stand
Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Hey Tony, Glad to hear your safe.

I hate to miss a day of buck hunting but,
"when given lemons you gotta make lemon aid"
When we get winds like you had we put the bows away and get out the waders &fly rods ,it steel head time in our neck of the woods.[:-]
Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

if you are being blown about in your tree, you are in the wrong tree.[:-]
Amen! Besides, as far as I'm concerned, what's a little swaying in a tree when you've ridden out a hurricane on a Knox class frigate?
I fished enough L.E.I. walleye tourneys on lake Erie to know a boat is not where you want to be on those breezy days.[:@]
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt when the wind gets too bad. I had a really bad experience a few years back (back when I was young and dumb) that scared the heck out of me.

We had sustained winds out of the northwest at 30mph that day. I went and climbed into the biggest tree I knew I could in that region and settled in before daylight. It was howling with some of the gust I know getting up into the 50's. Needless to say, I was getting a little worried. There were limbs coming down all over the place. That was about the time I heard it. A loud snap and a bunch of cracking. I look up, and here comes a tree top, right at me! It was a good sized pine that snapped off about 6ft up from the ground and it was barreling right toward me! Luckily, it wasn't as close as I thought and the very top came down about 50 ft in front of me. It hit the ground so hard it felt like it was going to knock me out of the tree.

From that day forward, I won't hunt when it gets that windy.

On deer movement, Ihave found that deer don't like it much when its really windy. Even during the rut, they'll hole up and wait it out.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

When we get winds like you had we put the bows away and get out the waders &fly rods ,it steel head time in our neck of the woods.[:-]
I'd rather dangle from a tree than try to use a fly rod in 40 mph winds. You won't want to be down wind of me in that situation or you're likely to catch a hook to the ear. [8D]
Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I'd rather dangle from a tree than try to use a fly rod in 40 mph winds. You won't want to be down wind of me in that situation or you're likely to catch a hook to the ear. [8D]
Hell on a calm day I can clear a large creek of anglers with just a few back casts andone or twoquick line cracks that instantly turn a hand tied marabou streamers in to a bare hook and smallair boundtuff of fuzz.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Bartender

I hear ya buddy it was just nuts this past Sunday and it does take a lot for me to pass
up a hunt. Plus I didnt want to spill my beer.

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Hey Tony, Glad to hear your safe.

I hate to miss a day of buck hunting but,
"when given lemons you gotta make lemon aid"

Quick Reply: 20MPH winds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.