Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FurBEARer Bonanza Day 4 (more fur on pg. 4)

Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: FurBEARer bonanza

I'm soooooooooooo jealous!

Thanks for sharing!

GH
Old 10-29-2008, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

Unreal, this IMO is the best post that has been on this forum in a while. Best of luck to you on getting a monster.

If you dont mind sharing, is the location that your hunting a funnel or something similiar? Obviously alot of scouting went into finding the spot, but what made you pick that exact spot, its obviously a dandy.
The spot is along a travel route (creek) between a bedding area and a food source (pool that has trapped some salmon). Same simple keys that work for stand placement on whitetails or anything else.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kodiak,im i right to assume that these are brown bears, not grizzly's? How large is a typical adult brown bears range? I thought that it was 100's of miles, but then again i dont know anything about them. Do you find that the bear in your area typically frequent small home core areas? Are you allowed to bait the bear there?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Brown bears and grizzlies are the same species (Ursus arctos) but grizzlies are a different sub-species (Ursus arctos horribilus) designated by their range, and Kodiak brown bears, exclusively here on Kodiak Island, designated by their range and their typically larger skull size for body weight (though that is contested by guides on the Peninsula) are also a separate subspecies (Ursus arctos middendorfi).

Typical adult range is hard to define.It depends on the point in their life and the time of the year.If there is abundant food they will cohabitate with a great number of bears in one area. If food is scarce they don't tolerate company well. There's something about the drainage I'm hunting that attracts large bears in the fall. It has produced 3 top 10 B&C bears in the last ten years and has a potential fourth in it right now.

Baiting brown bears in AK is illegal. You can use natural food sources to your advantage though...
Old 10-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Wow thats the real deal. You are the man.

Dumb question on my part, but when do the bears typically go into hibernation there and how long is your daylight hours as of current?

Thanks for posting and I look forward to others in the future.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Come on teamie, what about the blacktails???
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

That fox looks like a terror. Nice photos.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Typical Buck

Those pics are incredible Kodiak - I probably would have shook myself out of the stand (would that be considered baiting??)

Best of luck on the one you are after! - hope we get to see pics of him in the next day or so!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: jackflap

Wow thats the real deal. You are the man.

Dumb question on my part, but when do the bears typically go into hibernation there and how long is your daylight hours as of current?

Thanks for posting and I look forward to others in the future.
Really big bears may not den up at all. Depends on the winter. The snow load is getting deep enough in the high country that some of the smaller bears and sows may be denning up in the next few weeks. Shooting light is from about 08:30 to 19:15 right now but we're slipping a bit over 5 minutes a day.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Calm down Adam! I've got until they start to drop antlers the second week of Dec. In the meantime it's bear season and goat season opens Saturday.

Quick Reply: FurBEARer Bonanza Day 4 (more fur on pg. 4)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.