Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for those of you that hunt out of tent blinds???

Old 10-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for those of you that hunt out of tent blinds???

jmbuckhunter, had posted pic's of a doe that he shot a while back and also included pic's of his set-up and got me to thinking about this post.
Ok, I have always been told or read that if you hunt a tent blind in thick cover you need to brush it in good and if you hunt in the open you don't need to brush it in. I have always brushed mine in pretty good and been reallysuccessful with them. My question is how well do you brush yours in or do you even brush them inand what are your experiences with different settings, whattype of terrain were you hunting (open country, brushy land or timber's)and if you have them show pic's of your set-up's. I will post a pic of one of my normalset up's in the thick brush off the edge of ajeep trailthat the deer use as a b/c the cedars are so thick!!!! I actually took a couplepig's out of this set up a couple weeks ago and thus far this year (8 sits) have been totally undetected by all the animals I saw, this is common for this type set up where I hunt.....So let's see your set-up's and hear about your experiences with the tent blinds....

Old 10-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for those of you that hunt out of tent blinds???

None of you guys hunt out of tent's or have any experiences to share about hunting out of them?????? I thought we had a bunch of tent hunter's on the forum???? I guess a bunch of folks are out hunting too!!!! I know I would be if I weren't here at work...
Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

From my experience it totally depends on your deer herd. I've had some deer that would pick out your blind no matter how well you brushed it in and I've had others where the blind was literally sticking out like a sore thumb and they didn't pay any attention to it. You can never go wrong brushing your blind in to the max.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:57 AM

These deer don't seem to be bothered by the blind.
Catch: the blind was placed there 1 month ago.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:02 PM

im ocd

I use the same blind,
-------------------------
Back on topic: TexasBowHunter

I hunted with mine backed up to a brushy fence.
I did not brush it in, and i seen deer. So it really depends on what you want to do with the blind fella.

Brushing it in gives it a more real look with wind effects, leaves in the brush blo in the wind and make it believable.
So it is really up to your choice. Where are you hinting mate? I see cedars all around like Edwards county.
This is the country im hunting in by the way.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your set up looks good. I'll usually stack dead limbs around and up over mine and then if needed drop the screens and trim my shooting lanes and then put the screens back up. But I have just tucked my blind in between some trees with no brushing in and still had deer come around.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:47 PM

This video will give you an idea, that you dont have to brush it in. Altho this guy was wide open with his popup. I noticed the doe was skittish too, but he still got a shot.
I would back it up in something just like you have done, it would be fine im sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vddh0zOTWws
Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tomkat, I am hunting in Kerr county just east of Mountain Home, our place butts up to Kerr WMA...

I have had good luck with my ground blinds, I have also always brushed em in, I was just wanting some feed back on what you guys do and your outcomes/experiences.....Thanks for the replies that have come so far, keep em coming!!! I have alreadystroked two pigsout of that set-up and had almost every type of animal in the area(whitetail, axis, audad, fallow)come by me without ever knowing I was there.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK guys, I am bringing this one back, if you have already seen itI apologize, please ignore. For the rest of you, I put this up last weekend and there weren't too many folks online but I know we have a buch of blind hunter's here. I don't want it to die just yet,I would like to hear some stories (experiences)about your "tent style" set up's in different terrain and your outcome'e and maybe even what you have started doing different and why you are doing it different.....These type blinds are really a good tool to use in the country that I hunt (thick cedar breaks)and maybe they are in yours too, so let's hear it!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a field edge a couple hundred yards from my house. It is a funnel for deer moving between two properties. The layout consists of about 20 acres of forest next to 12 acres of field. Only about 4 acres of the field is used for wheat. The rest is high grass and young trees. The blind doesn't stick up a lot above the grass and brush, so I have some branches in the corner making it look like a small clump of young trees. I have seen deer within five yards of my blind on a regular basis and spooked a doe a few days ago that was sleeping against the blind. (Never saw her because she was on the far side when I walked in.)