Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Quick Buck Roar question??

Old 10-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Quick Buck Roar question??

I can't remember if it was the primos buck roar or if it was the "buck growl" (can't remember who makes that one) that got better hunter reviews. I seem to remember one of them being slammed for sounding like a duck call if used wrong. Please help, need to pick one upin an hour.thanks.

Also, which of these can be used to make a grunt as well?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quick Buck Roar question??

I don't remeber the reviews but I have the one made by MAD the Growl, and if you blow soft enough it is a really deepdeer grunt. I actually called in a 100" or so 8 with the growl last Nov. around Thanksgiving, but that was the only time I used it. Could be pure luck that it "called" that deer in
Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the Primos one 1000x better.
G/F bought me the MAD growl, I took it back & exchanged it for the Primos one the next day.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have the primos one and love it. Its near impossible to screw up your grunt with it.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome, thanks for the quick responses guys!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't remember the reviews but I have the one made by MAD the Growl, and if you blow soft enough it is a really deep deer grunt.
I got that one also, I picked one up this last winter and plan on using It anytime now. I really like the sound of It.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Ihave the Primos Buck Roar. It can be used as both a regular grunt tube or as the roar. Used it the day after I bought it last Nov.7th. At 9:30 a.m. that morningI hadn't seen much so I gave it a whirl and had three bucks in shooting range inside of 5 minutes. The largest of the 3 went about 135-140" andwill be picked up from the taxidermist any day now.
The second time I used it was last Friday night. Called in a nice 130-ish buck who was brousing across the field. 30-40 minutes later he was at 5 yardsunder my stand looking for the deer he thought he heard. I let himwalk for now.
2 times- 2 encounters, however I'm obviouslynot foolish enough to think that this or any call will work all the time, but under the right circumstances near the rut, the roar type callsseem to produce a response when ordinarygrunt tubeshave not. Needless to say I'm pretty impressed with it.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

under the right circumstances near the rut, the roar type calls seem to produce a response when ordinary grunt tubes have not. Needless to say I'm pretty impressed with it.
Good Info! I'll be using the roar the 1st time this year so that's good to know.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got back from the woods and here's what happened:

I grunted, wheezed, roared, then rattled... and within 5min I had a buck come in from downwind. Needless to say he busted me. It's too bad the wind switched on me otherwise I think I might be posting about my first buck of the year. I was set up next to a shallow river and when I got there, I picked a tree that would have my scent blowing across the river.

Second time(about an hour later)I tried callingbut didn't roar at first. I Just grunted, wheezed, then rattled... and just like freakin' clockwork, one comes splashing across the shallow river 75yds upwind of me. I couldn't see him but he was obviously surveying the scene. When he couldn't pinpoint the action he went back across the river. I then decided to roar a minute laterbut nothing. Maybe I should've roared as soon as he came across the river.

Oh well, trial and error. This lil primos certain has my attention not to mention the attention of 2 super high pressure public land bucks.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The one most likely that was said to sound like a duck if not used right is the MAD growl.. I have the buck roar and its awesome, best sounding grunt ive ever heard.. The mad growl isnt bad, but if you blow it to hard it does sound like a duck.. id go with the buck roar..

Quick Reply: Quick Buck Roar question??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.