Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tradition Bow Hunting

Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tradition Bow Hunting

Does anyone on here still hunt with a recurve or long bow. What length and pound? I am thinking about TRYING to make my on bow. Which wood is best for making bows?
Thank You
Old 10-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tradition Bow Hunting

FYI There is a Trad section under the archery section.

To answer your question there are a few of us on here that hunt with recurves, longbows, or selfbows. I hunt with a selfbow that is 70 lbs. I think the length is 62" can't remember now. I made it a couple years ago. I'm made enough to feel comfortable building them but am by no means an expert. For wood I like Osage (hedge apple) If you can find the right tree you can get some great bows out of it. This is for selfbows. Laminated bows are a hole new animal.

Osage is not the easiest wood to work with becuase its hard. But it is pretty forgiving as far as design and as far as making mistakes while building it.

Be carefull starting a project like that though. Its adictive.

There is some other good info online too. Tradgang.com is a great site and is all trad guys. Some great info on building there.

Some advice if you do try it. Take your time. If you think you know what your doing slow down. Do not use a power tool on it. (Untill you have built a few) Ask questions and/or findsomeone local to you to helpyou along.

Good luck its fun.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt exclusively with a recurve, It's a take down. My draw weight Is 61lbs at 28". A year ago I was pulling 73lbs back at 28", I've got Issues with my limbs I think. I'm bummed being this might be my last year hunting with It after going 14 years together.

Your question about making bows, go to the traditional forum. You'll get your answers there like Jason said.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a recurve every now and then. The last time I was successful with it was in 2005 when I got an antelope in SD. It's 58 inches long and has a draw weight of 50# at 28".
Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Banned

I'm hunting right now with a 60" Zipper, 54#, 680 grain weighted carbons and steel inserts/Steel Force premium broadheads

shooting trad changes everything
Old 10-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

60" DAS recurve - 55@29- Winex limbs - no wood in my setup.
55/75 GT carbon with Stingers
425GR total.
2 does this year so far.

Steve
Old 10-23-2008, 03:53 AM
bigcountry

I shoot a 50lb martin savannah, 60lb Zipper recurve, a 66lb Black widow longbow, and also started making bows this year. I have two osage selfbows, and almost finished with a yew english longbow.

Osage is the king of bow wood, but need experience on the first one or two before tackling it. You have to chase a ring which is not difficult but tedious and you need to know how. You need a good design and again, not difficult but an experienced hand makes all the difference. You can't cut thru a ring and you have to stay with the grain.

This was my first Yew bow, and I have to say, I don't like yew. Works very strange. Doubt I will use it again.

Hickory is great for learning and an experienced bowyer can make one zip. No ring chasing. And grain or ring violations are not the end of the world

I read thru all 4 editions of the traditional bowyers bibles, and still couldn't effectively build a bow. But I got a book by Jim Hamm that helped alot. Step by step. Lots of books out there. Go to www.tradgang.com or primitive archer mag webpage, and tons of resources.

http://www.amazon.com/Arrows-Native-Americans-Step-Step/dp/1599210835/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224755507& amp;sr=1-5

Old 10-23-2008, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jrfrmn

Does anyone on here still hunt with a recurve or long bow. What length and pound? I am thinking about TRYING to make my on bow. Which wood is best for making bows?
Thank You
I've huntedwith recurves, longbows, and selfbows. This year I thought I would use my Bob Lee recurve, but I'm having troubleputting my Ossage Selfbow down. I made thatone frombasically a log. It shoots 69#'s at 29" and is 70". Below is a pic, I'm second to the right. I'd suggest that if you plan on building one and you have never done so to get to a larger traditional shoot. They'll usually have some staves for sale, tools to use, and instructional help.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot recurves and longbows-mostly recurves.They're 58" & 60" and range from 43#-54#.My longbows are 64" and 66"(2 of them)and range from 47#-54#
Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

What do you mean by not cutting through the ring?
Is the grain different on Osage orange than other wood?
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Tradition Bow Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.