Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK....For all of you that were helping me w/ the topo

Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default OK....For all of you that were helping me w/ the topo

I ended up going in there tonight. UNBELIEVABLE how hot that place looks. I held my bow with my had on my release the last 1.5hrs of light.

The landowner was cutting hay when I got to the old farmhouse (shown above the creek), and I walked all the way to the NE end of the hayfield to talk to him. Figured while I was that far east.....I'd just head up the property line to a good point and then make my way up. When I saw the breakline made by the clear cut and the standing timber...I couldn't believe it. The clear cut is about 6-8' tall....and the hardwoods are probably 80'. What a travel route!

Trails were there....so I set up (check the drawing for thegreen dot) and waited. I have NEVER felt better about a set (on an initial hunt). Anyways.....nothing kicking until about 5:30....then a FLOCK of turkeys FLIES right in on me.....lol. THIRTEEN of them. I'm not so big on enigma anymore (not because it isn't a good pattern, though)....but I got to give it credit. They walked all around and right under me. Nothing pegged me. Unbelievable. I didn't even have time to get the video out. I got some footage of them leaving.....but they were alread 10 yds or so by then!

Anyways....back to deer.

At about 30 minutes 'til dark...I see my first deer. It's a little buck......followed by another little buck. Fine. 10 minutes later......another little buck. Then.....another little buck. It's almost dark, now.....and I hear two more to my left. They can't be 20 yds away....and they're "Almost" near where they could catch my wind. I kept saying...."God....just let 'em leave. I won't even glass 'em.....if you'll just let them follow the others".....

Anyways.....I got pinned down until just now (just walked in).....but I think I snuck out OK.

I saw one deer, this mornign on my hunt (elsewhere). Jeff/GMMAT....the king of does.....is doing something right. I saw 5 deer, today. ALL FIVE WERE BUCKS.

Duke....you said don't go in there in the AM.....but man it sure it tempting. I;d LOVE to know what those last two deer were. If I get a good wind....I'll go back, tomorrow....and maybe I'll find out.

MAUSER....hey Cap'n......when all these bucks came out.....they were in a gulley. Uncle. You were right (though not about the REALLY deep one). I'll give credit where it's due.

Sorry for the longwinded post. But I'm happy I saw NO DOES.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK....For all of you that were helping me w/ the topo

This place has an IQ of 500, too bad we all have to add ours together to get that far!

Congrats on finding your new honey hole!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Dominant Buck

To put my day into perspective....

I saw more bucks, TODAY....than I saw ALL LAST YEAR (48 sits).
Old 10-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's little?

I have a feeling you've got a good spot here.

Good luck the rest of the year Jeff

I'm getting ready to rescout my whole setup, geared more towards taking a good buck. I "think" they're there, but I haven't tried putting myself there, yet. Whatd you use to get the topo overlay?
Old 10-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Matt the one shown is from my county GIS system.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is the key before the rut jeff, not seeing any does! Good work!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome Jeff. Good luck buddy.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good day!!! Now go a little further south and west where you're supposed to be!!!! Things are DEAD here in the big O-H ... I-O, I'm seeing little to no movement during daytime hours right now, quite frustrating, still pretty warm in the evenings though, and I'm not getting out much in the mornings due to my "Daddy-daycare" job. There's time though, I just need to be patient. Got a 'yote tonight, if that counts for anything!!!

Good Luck on that spot, I also think you may be onto something there!!!