Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It's a mystery to me....

Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It's a mystery to me....

ORIGINAL: NChunterman

I'm a novice only taken about 20 or so deer with a bow, but stupid question, is there a distinguishable sound from the two? I'd assume much louder since all the KE is being delivered to the impact point(front shoulder). Just curious, b/c when I shot my deer this year it sounded like someone smack a 2 x 4 from 33 yards and I'm not going to lie I was a little worried until I topped the hill and there he was, THANK GOD. Obviously a complete pass through would be ideal, but when the arrow hits the offside shoulder, unless it lodges in, would it not do more damage as it grinds in the chest cavity of a well hit deer as her runs (I know we could argue that a well hit deer wouldn't hit the off side shoulder)? Causing more damage to major organs and arteries until it's pushed out or breaks off. The only bad thing is that it doesn't leave a very good blood trail. Please Matt don't think I'm looking to argue, just a mere discussion that I intend on learning from. Thanks in advance.
I don't think you're arguing at all. LOL

It's only common sense that an external hit on the nearside shoulder blade will be considerably louder than the off side leg. (You can't hit the offside shoulder blade unless you are on the ground)
The nearside shoulder blade is so shallow in the body it's basically like shooting into a piece of plywood with some hair over it. You may have actually hit the outer edge of the shoulder paddle as your arrow went through. Bone is bone and hitting one that shallow in the deer's body will Crack like crazy no matter which section you hit.

My buddy Frank it one in the shoulder paddle a few years ago and he said the sound was actually startling how loud it was.
Luckily his arrow busted through and got enough to kill the animal within 100 yards...but it didn't come close to passing through.

If you hit the offside leg bone on a quartering away shot you still get that initial hollow "thunk" and the smack of hitting solid bone on the opposite side has to be muffled.

I have never bought into the theory of an arrow causing more damage as the animal runs or "helping" the blood trail or downing an animal faster.
What's done is done IMO when the arrow stops.
Like you said 2 holes are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS better than one.

I could never picture a scenario where I would only want an entrance on an animal that runs off. NEVER.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, CRAAAAAAAAAACKKKKKKKKK First thing in my mind was "What freakin tree did I not see and hit" That is the best way I can describe it
Old 10-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Typical Buck

I will say, it sounded louder than normal. I was surprised how loud it was. It was louder than I have heard on a pass thru shot.

Matt...no I was not aiming for the shoulder.I must have hit a little more left than I was aiming. I waited for that left leg to move forward before I shot. I've even wondered ifsince I was focusing on it, without realizing, maybe I was aiming too far left. Really not to sure because it happened so fast but I thought I was aiming just behind it for a pass thru shot.

Also, I know it was the same deer because I watchedhim run away.