Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Self guided moose hunt??

Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Banned

Default Self guided moose hunt??

I would like to do a DIY archery moose hunt. From what I know, Alaska is the only option. I want to use my own walltent and drive my vehicle to the hunt so I am not a slave to the airlines and them losing my gear. Would I need to bring a boat too, in order to gain access to the good hunting grounds, or can I drive my truck to good moose country, pitch my wall tent, and hunt with daypacks? I also have tons of bowhunting friends, but none are willing to make the financial commitment and take the time off from work to get this hunt done right. So, I am looking for 1-3 more guys that would like to do this in 2010 or 2011; start planning now. Tips on a DIY moose hunt appreciated. I know Canada requires outfitters, so Canada is out. Too hard to draw in the lower 48 for a moose too.
[/align]
Old 10-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Self guided moose hunt??

Its hard to find a moose near any roads. floating or flying are about the only ways to access hunt able numbers of moose.I would go with a drop camp ,have a pilot drop you in a area you chose and plan on return and midweek fly over checks.
Good luck sounds like a great time.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you sure Alaska doesn't require a guide? I thought they did.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Banned

Steve, Alaska only requires a guide for Brown Bear/Grizzly, Dall sheepand Mountain goat.

Edit: Here ya go.

Contacts Licenses/Permits Regulations News Publications

[align=left][/align]
[align=right] [/align]

- ADF&G -> Wildlife Home -> Hunting Home
[align=right]FAQ - SiteIndex[/align]

[align=right]www.wildlife.alaska.gov[/align]

Hunting
& Trapping

Regulations
Licenses
& Permits

Research &
Management

Education
All About
Wildlife

Wildlife
Viewing

Refuges &
Sanctuaries

Publications

General Hunting
Information[/align]Hunting Home
Big Game Intro
Skull Cleaning
Hunting Resources
Hunt Planning
Meat Care
Leave No Trace
Hunting Guides

Moose Hunting
Information[/align]Moose Hunting
20E Moose
Galena Moose
Gustavus Moose
Unit 23 Orientation
17B Moose (PDF)
Galena Moose

Caribou Hunting
Information[/align]40 Mile Caribou
Unit 23 Orientation

Dall Sheep Hunting
Information[/align]Dall Sheep Hunting

Mountain Goat Hunting
Information[/align]Goat Hunting Home

Kodiak Island Hunting
Information[/align]Kodiak Map (PDF)
Kodiak Area A (PDF)

Bear Hunting
Information[/align]Bear Hunting

Muskox Hunting
Information[/align]Muskox Hunting

Alaska Big Game Hunting FAQs
What is the difference between a tag, harvest ticket, and a permit?
These terms mean different things in different states. In Alaska, a harvest ticket is required in most areas for general hunts to hunt deer, moose, caribou, and sheep. They are available free from license vendors. The harvest ticket must be carried in the field and validated by cutting out the day and month immediately upon taking game. The tickets must be returned to Fish and Game after the hunt and the data helps managers assess harvest.
For drawing or registration hunts, the drawing permit or registration permit acts as the harvest ticket.
In addition to a hunting license, nonresident hunters must buy appropriate locking tags to hunt big game in Alaska - this tag is locked on the hide immediately after the kill and must remain there until the hide is processed or exported. Brown bears, and black bears from some areas, must also be sealed. This means taking the skull and skin (with claws and evidence of gender attached) to an officially designated sealing officer, who records data on the hunt and the animal and locks a seal on the skin.
When do moose and caribou seasons generally start?
Moose seasons are almost always in September. Most caribou seasons start August 1. Refer to the appropriate hunting supplement for more information.
As a nonresident, am I required to have a guide to hunt?
Nonresident hunters do not need a guide to hunt moose, but do need a guide for several other species. To get more information visit our guiding requirements page.
How can I get a list of guides and transporters?
A list of Alaska guides and transporters can be purchased for $5 from:
The Division of Occupational Licensing
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK, 99811-0806
907-465-2543.
You can also look up guides and/or transporters and have a list emailed to you by using the Professional Licensing Data Retrieval System.
Be sure to visit the Big Game Hunting Information page for more information on permit procedures and application deadlines.

Alaska Hunting
Guide Requirements
Guides are required for the following:
Nonresidents:
A nonresident who hunts brown/grizzly bear, Dall sheep, or mountain goat must be personally accompanied by a licensed guide OR by an Alaska resident over 19 years of age who is within the “second degree of kindred.”