Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Self guided moose hunt??

Old 10-20-2008, 06:01 PM

Default RE: Self guided moose hunt??

Another good resource is Chris Batin; Hunting in Alaska: http://www.alaskaangler.com/books/hunting.htm#top and Michael Strahan; Float Hunting in Alaska http://www.alaskafloathunting.net/. The best success (100% for 4 guys) we've had is a drop camp but it was in an exceptional area and it costs $$$. We've had success on every float hunt we've done, and some relatively inexpensive ones, but we only take one moose per trip (and some caribou when available) between 3 of us. The best advice I can give is don't underestimate the size of these animals! Come fully prepared to deal with 600 pounds of boned out meat and a 50+ pound rack from each one. Most non-residents that come up here seriously underestimate the amount of effort it takes to get that much meat out of the field without it spoiling, especially in warm, wet early Sept. seasons. The first thing out of everyone's mouth after walking up on one of these downed critters is "Oh my God! What have I done?!" If you plan on bringing a wall tent I'd suggest doing a float trip. You can rent rafts and get suggestions from Alaska Raft and Kayak in Anchorage. Most float trips even involve a bush plane pick-up or drop off (I suggest a drop off with a float out to a road) and the key for successful trips involving bush planes is to keep the load to a minimum.