Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another Hitman Needed

Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another Hitman Needed

Ok so i know someone was lookin for one a week or two ago wellnow i need one. I already had 2 good does around me and workin into range. Suddenly i hear one comin from my right. Crap, they always seem to see me nomatter what when they come out of that hole. So I put my bow in my lap and try to hide behind the burlap, hopein she wont see me and will make it around so i wont have to worry. NOPE. Before i can see her i hear the dreaded STOMP. around the third stomp i can see her lookin at me. So i get as small as a 235 pound guy can and hope she gets over it. Wrong again. She blows.. stomps..blows.. stomps.. blows and starts runnin. Heres the problem.. the other does arnt too alarmed.. that is until the doe starts her circle around my stand runnin and blowin like crazy. stayin about 60 yards out. as if thats no bad enough not only are the other two gone now but she makes another lap to be sure im thoroughly screwd.. all i can say if it was gun season she'd have been thoroughly screwed!!!!![:@]
Old 10-20-2008, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another Hitman Needed

That Nanny needs to go. I had one like that last year, no matter what happened she always busted me and did just what you described
Old 10-20-2008, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like an old dry doe. Take her out as soon as you can or youll keep getting busted. I hate old does.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: gtownbuckbuster

Ok so i know someone was lookin for one a week or two ago wellnow i need one. I already had 2 good does around me and workin into range. Suddenly i hear one comin from my right. Crap, they always seem to see me nomatter what when they come out of that hole. So I put my bow in my lap and try to hide behind the burlap, hopein she wont see me and will make it around so i wont have to worry. NOPE. Before i can see her i hear the dreaded STOMP. around the third stomp i can see her lookin at me. So i get as small as a 235 pound guy can and hope she gets over it. Wrong again. She blows.. stomps..blows.. stomps.. blows and starts runnin. Heres the problem.. the other does arnt too alarmed.. that is until the doe starts her circle around my stand runnin and blowin like crazy. stayin about 60 yards out. as if thats no bad enough not only are the other two gone now but she makes another lap to be sure im thoroughly screwd.. all i can say if it was gun season she'd have been thoroughly screwed!!!!![:@]
If they're pinpointing you every time you may have more than just a doe problem, there could be something wrong with the stand setup. What kind of cover do you have around you? Just the burlap or do you have a fair amount of branches, etc? Also, if she's already seen you, no matter how small you try to make yourself, moving to get into said position is not the answer - it's better to freeze completely (no matter how uncomfortable you are at the time)

Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing. You probably don't want to hear it, but you should consider moving your stand. I've seen deer get accustomed to looking for the spot where they've seen a hunter before. Last year I sat one of my brother's stand locations. He had been busted in his climber quite a few times by a couple of smart old does. I took my climber and moved 40 yards away. I watched as one of the smart old girls came in, circled that tree and literally stopped and looked up the tree looking for him.

Oh yeah, that doe ended up in the freezer.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 AM

I had that problem last year I moved across the creek from where i was huntin and didnt have a problem and was in shooting range of my other stand.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

Sounds like an old dry doe.
Really? How do you get that out of his story?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like you STINK. Plus, you're hunting the same spot too much. Give it a rest. Next time in if you have a climber, shimmy up a tree 40 or 50 yards away and see what happens.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

that was the first time ive hunted it in over a week... i had that problem last year with a doe but never got a shot w/ a gun... on all other sides there are trees and leaves except that side.. the leaves have died off already.... and yea ive already thought of gettin my climber and movin a little to thro her off... and no it wasnt "STINK" cause as good as her nose is the wind was around 10 mph commin from her direction