Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got to shoot at my first deer today

Old 10-18-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Got to shoot at my first deer today

though I did not get it. I heard something hit, upon closer examination my arrow was sticking out of a thick branch on the ground, so I must have came up short on the shot. My friend too got a shot at the second deer of the two, never did find his arrow but he thinks it fell short too, ricocheted off the ground and went right. No sign of blood anywhere. After looking around for a bit, one of the two deer came back, think they like to cross the gravel road here, but we did not get a shot off. Deer are rather fast! Our shots were in the 40 yard + range.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got to shoot at my first deer today

Hope you have better luck tomorrow
Old 10-18-2008, 05:30 PM

thank you. Thinking of going to Gander Mountain and having them up my draw weight to 55 lbs see how that goes.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you're shooting over 40 yards with a bow that's pulling less than 55-lbs? What type heads are you shooting, just out of curiousity? And what type arrows? I hope it's not mecahnicals and really light arrows...

FYI, those arrows are dropping like rocks after 30 yards because of energy-loss. You really have to know your yardage exactly to hit accurately with that setup.

In other words, maybe you should limit your shots to 25-yards MAX.

Just a tip; don't mean no offense.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Just another tip if you up your poundage make sure you practice after the POI will be a little diffrent
Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can up the poundage yourself with an Allen wrench. Just turn both sides the same amount of times. Try just 1 full turn and practice with that and see if pulling it back will work for you. Another tip, you should always make sure you can pull your bow back while sitting down. You don't always get the chance to stand. Just my opinion
Old 10-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

yes yes i agree practive sitting 2. like u i had my first shot today. except i shoot over the back i'm right there with you on the what was i thinking thing. i shot sitting down. just to prove that it happens
Old 10-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi,

What pound draw do you think I need to get a kill shot at 40 yards? I just got into this sport few weeks ago, and 25 yards to me seems close in that I would spook the deer. Right now I am at 50 lbs. still and seem to manage that will a little trouble, was thinking 55 lbs. might be my very max I could draw back without considerable problems right now. Been considering maybe changing to a crossbow to get the distance. Thanks.