Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Doe down

Old 10-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Big Doe down

I was finally able to drag my tired butt out of bed and got to the stand justbefore daylight. I got to the stand (I hunt from the ground) and did my usual spray of deer dander. I would say around 10 minutes after I got there I am looking behind me and I see a deer walking about 75-100 yards away across a pipeline walking down hill. So positioned myself on the other side of the tree. Nothing. Deer is gone. I was excited cuz it was the first deer I had seen this year. Being that I am facing the woods and away from the pipeline I keep looking behind me. Boom theres an 8 point. He saw my movement but didnt spook. Well now Im stuck he is behind me looking in my direction. Nothing I can do. This goes on for about 10 minutes. He finally starts to walk down the pipeline. He is only about 30 feet from me and I cant do anything. Well he turned his head , I drew back my bow and he took off. NO SHOT! Now Im busted and bummed. I almost went home.
I sit there to about 10:00. I look up and see four deer walking through the woods. Out of my range but didnt want to get busted. They crossed the pipeline and down through the woods. I thought what the hell. I hit the call. Ive only done it a couple times never any success. Except this time. All four doe come back up the hill towards and stop on the pipeline. I cant draw on the first one she is looking in my direction(looking for the doe that called her). Two fawns behind her, not shooting them because I know there is one more doe. She steps out at about 20 yards quartering towards me. I am already drawn. Im not gonna take that shot. She keeps looking down the pipeline. Im thinking it better not be that buck now. I think I held the bow back for about a minute. Im tired and cold. She takes two steps up hill gives me a great shot. I let the arrow fly. I hit her. Saw it go in. I waited for abit and walked out to the pipeline just to see where the blood starts. Not gonna track her yet. Well I kneel down on one knee and I hear all this crashing down in the woods. Sticks breaking leaves rustling. Sounded like somebody found her and was dragging her out. And then silence. I called my wife to let her know I had gotten one told her I was looking for blood. There it was lots of it. I look down in the woods and there she is. She only went about 30 yards. I couldnt see her thrashing around because I was knelt down in the weeds. Found my arrow, it was just covered in blood. When I got to her, I saw that I made a bad shot. Thought I hit her in theback of the shoulder, nope in front of it. I dont know if I moved when I shot, because I was cold and tired from holding so long. I dont know. I am glad she didnt go far, like I said about 30 yards. Arrow angled in front of the shoulder and cut her windpipe. Bled like crazy. Oh yeah using a rage two blade. Hole was huge. Sorry for the long post. Pretty excited about calling them back up the hill. First time for that.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Doe down

WTG!!!! way to stick it out. Congrats. Nice doe
Old 10-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice, congrats!
Old 10-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice doe...congrats
Old 10-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice doe man congrats
[align=left] [/align]
Old 10-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Spike

Great job, congrats!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks alot. Tonight wecooked the back straps over an open fire........OMG they were delicious!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:12 PM

Congrats!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Backstraps over an open fire? Maybe with a cold beverage as well? Man, thats great. Congratulations.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

ohhh i bet those tenderloins will be good eatin as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.