Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are Climbing Stands too Noisy?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:21 AM

Default RE: Are Climbing Stands to Noisy?

I use my summit every hunt and it is awesome. I can be up in a tree in 5 minutes ready to hunt and quietly. The only time it becomes noise is when you have to switch trees to try and out smart a deer if the stand is not already set properly for the size of the tree.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

This man said it all. With a LW there is no set up noise.Any noise made is hunter induced. That's Gospel!
I absolutely love my new LW (Ihave the LW and the Summit).....but I didn't drink the freakin LW Kool-Aid. It's a good stand....but it has it's features that make it LESS desireable then the summit for some applications (for me....wit the main thing being LONG sits). So....I switch it up.

And EI....if you lay the stands down and don't touch them....neither of them make noise. SO I suppose anything is hunter induced. I wish all the LW guys would be honest and tell how many times that upper had fallen down and clanked against their lower when they were setting up.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

tell how many times that upper had fallen down and clanked against their lower when they were setting up.

Is this more prone with a LW? I think I could have the same problem with mine if I weren't careful. But I think that's the key with climbers in general.

One thing I will say is if you have less moving parts to ...well...move, then you have less chance of making noise. Like for instance my stand has these little shackle-pins that hold the stand and chain together. If you bobble those around it can make some noise. But I noticed on the Summits the cable has 'bumps' that lock into the stand, so there are no parts to bounce off of other pieces. I justbought anOpen-Shot and I can't wait to get it and give it a try.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

The upper portion of the LW is light as a feather. Good....for weight purposes....but bad for stability purposes when setting up. It has NO weight to keep it from falling down the tree when you're setting up. I'm careful.....but it's still happened more times than I care to mention. I don't have that issue with the summit.

Also.....if you're climbing safely (attached the whole way up) you have to let go of the upper to raise your tether as you ascend. The upper has a tendency to want to fall, then, too.

It's just annoying......and potentially a sound effect.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never leave my stand in the woods. Take it in and out w/ you everytime ,and setting it up , even in the dark, will become 2nd nature.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Wouldn't leaving a climber in the woods all the time negate the benefit of having a climber in the first place?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Climbing stands too noisy? Hell no, I've already climbed up and down a tree on a number of occassions with deer in bow range. They are as quiet as you need them to be and it's all in the user. I love my Ol'man stand.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:01 PM

Default RE: Are Climbing Stands too Noisy?

Take your climber out into the yard or where you have trees to practice on. My son is sixteen and beg me to use the climber this year. I made him practice the setup and climbing since May. I wanted to make sure he knew exactly what he was doing and the safety aspects of using a climber.

That boy can now setup the climber in the dark and be up a tree in no time. ( Actually he puts me to shame now).

A climber is like the rest of your hunting gear, practice, practice and practice. That is the best idea I have for you. Be safe and have fun.

Dave
Old 10-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The upper portion of the LW is light as a feather. Good....for weight purposes....but bad for stability purposes when setting up. It has NO weight to keep it from falling down the tree when you're setting up. I'm careful.....but it's still happened more times than I care to mention. I don't have that issue with the summit.

Also.....if you're climbing safely (attached the whole way up) you have to let go of the upper to raise your tether as you ascend. The upper has a tendency to want to fall, then, too.

It's just annoying......and potentially a sound effect.
Yes, the seat section wants to fall down to the platform every time you give it the chance to. With time and experienceyou will learn how NOT to let that happen. That used to happen to me too,a long time ago!That seat/top section MUST be dug in, and or have weight/pressure onit. If it doesn't, it willfall and hit the platform (ugly sound)more times than you'll want to tell anybody about.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

That seat/top section MUST be dug in, and or have weight/pressure onit. If it doesn't, it willfall and hit the platform (ugly sound)more times than you'll want to tell anybody about.
What about when you're adjusting your tether up the tree, EI? How do you keep weight/pressure on the platform when you're doing this?

I've used my LW over 20 times, now.....and whatever "experience" needed to make that upper stay on the tree is a mystery, most times. It's a good stand, yeah....and my favorite of the two.....but the holy grail it is FAR from.

Quick Reply: Are Climbing Stands too Noisy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.