Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some help please

Old 10-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Need some help please

I'm desperately seeking some advice on shot placement. I have never lost a deer, and don't want today to be the first.

Earlier this afternoon, I had a doe at about 20 yards perfectly broadside.

The doe dropped a little at the shot, but it still looked pretty good to me. This was in an open field. The deer ran about 50 yards and stopped and I could see that the arrow was in the deer, and the broadhead blades were sticking out the other side about 10 inches. The arrow was buried up to the fletching.

When the deer stopped, the arrow appeared to be at least 4 inches from the top of the back. The picture below is the best guess I have of where the arrow hit, the black dot on the picture. I was angling slightly down from about 10 feet high.

After the deer ran about 50 yards, it proceeded to run about another 150 yards and then turned right going around a pond and disappeared.

I was definitely disappointed to not actually see the deer go down.

I have heard that there is a space where the arrow can hit that won't kill the deer, but I don't see how this shot didn't hit lung or spine. So far I have found no blood.

I figured I would give it overnight and start looking in the morning.

Just wondered what your opinions are on this shot placement, and the likelihood that it hit lung.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some help please

Hopefully you got lungs and will find her tomorrow. Leaving her was probably a good call. With a high hit, they don't bleed out as much, and it makes tracking tougher for sure.

I have shot and lost a couple over the years hitting right where you described. The great debate as to whether or not there is a space above the lungs and below the spine will go on forever. I personally believe itIS there, and have seen a deer the my friend killed with the broadhead scars right there to prove it. I wish you luck...
Old 10-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Better low than high. I'm a firm believer that most deer die when hit broadsideeven if it's from infection.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:30 AM

If you hit where the black dot is then I belive you have adead deer.....somewhere.

The fact that the hit was high and you did not get a passthrough will not produce much blood. Look hard, then look some more. There will be blood somewhere.

Good luck finding her.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Fork Horn

The same thing actually happened to Me last week. I was filming My Dad, and the doe dropped, and He hit Her exactly where You did. We found very little blood. She kept the arrow in Her till God knows when, but We searchered for hours the following day, and nothing. Although about 5 days later We have a trail cam picture at a corn feeder with a doe with a fresh looking woundabout 4 inches downHer back. So I think there is a space above the lungs, and below the spine.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Typical Buck

I would think from only 10 feet up, the exit hole is relatively high too...which means that the deer's body cavity will need to fill up before lots of blood starts being found. If the arrow is still in her, then it might help the blood trail by running out along the shaft. Definately a good idea to let this one lay overnight.

That's a dead deer, you just have to find her...........

Good Luck!

GH
Old 10-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

4 inches down - arrow still in deer means a very good chachance you hit the bones above the actual spinal column.
Unless infected, deer will be fine - BUT GO look as if its fatal.

The same thing actually happened to Me last week. I was filming My Dad, and the doe dropped, and He hit Her exactly where You did. We found very little blood. She kept the arrow in Her till God knows when, but We searchered for hours the following day, and nothing. Although about 5 days later We have a trail cam picture at a corn feeder with a doe with a fresh looking woundabout 4 inches downHer back. So I think there is a space above the lungs, and below the spine.
Same thing as above
No such space - deer can live from a high lung hit, but it is rare.
4inches down is above the spine in the backstraps.

Steve
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 AM

4 inches was a bad estimate. The black dot is about right though. I would guess maybe 6 inches from the top of the back.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

It looks good but i'd go a couple inches lower...
Old 10-18-2008, 05:29 AM

It looks good if you were in a tree stand but, on theground not so good.If it was a double lung the deer should of been dead in50 to a100 yards. I think the arrowwould of blow ed through the doe if you didn't hit any thing but ribs and lungs. My arrowsalways do any way.

Good luck on finding her

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.