Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody have their land ONLY for bow season?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Anybody have their land ONLY for bow season?

I'm catching a little flack from the guys who've hunted the new land I acquired......because they've gun hunted it for years. They don't bow hunt.....so it's not like I'm fighting them for stand sites.

So I guess it boils down to plain out selfishness.There's lenty of "deer" to go around, here.....so I'm really not sure of the "issue", really.

I'm thinking of telling them I'll vacate the premises come gun season....but I'd hate to give up such a good ridge to hunt during the rut. The landowner probably won't make this an issue...even if they say something to him. So I don't think I "have" to do anything.

I guess having the extra spots for bow season isn't a bad thing.....and it might make me out to be a good hunting neighbor. I don't know.

By the time gun season rolls in here (11/14 for ML).....I'll need to get back over "here" on the ladies, anyways. So it isn't such a bad thing.

Anybody else do something like this?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anybody have their land ONLY for bow season?

Jeff, is money involved?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been offered access to 2 different properties for bow seasons only. However in Illinois, you are not allowed to bowhunt during the shotgun seasons. I never did hunt either of these properties for other reasons though.

The way Isee it, if you have equal rights to be on the land as gun hunters,then I see no reason why you would have to leave the property when the army of orange hits the woods.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So I guess it boils down to plain out selfishness.There's lenty of "deer" to go around, here.....so I'm really not sure of the "issue", really.
Oh yeah... selfish hunters..... nahhhhhh....

We are ate up with them in SE Va.

My favorite saying, next to..... "We can't control where the dogs run..." and "Oh well we are just training on foxes..." is: "THE STILL HUNTAHS ARE KILLIN ALLL DA BIG DEEEUUURRR!!!!" Which is why you have a few counties where you can only ML hunt during the ML season (ever heard of not being able to shoot a black powder gun during the general firearms season???) and even one county that has somehow managed to have NO ML season at all..... it comes down to greed.... dog drivers and gun hunters hate the fact that archers get the first crack at the deer. And you are dead right Jeff... it's just selfishness....
Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

No money involved. The landowner don't need it.....and the other guys are at totally opposite ends of the financial spectrum. I think (OK...I KNOW) it's the rich one egging the other one on, too.

He did the same thing to me in turkey season over TWENTY acres.....lol.

I'm like .....dude...."it's just a bird".
Old 10-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't see why they would even frustrated about it.If they're not paying anything, and neither are you, then how can they complain? Just makes no sense to me..
Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I know these guys....and the one tells me he's worried about how much pressure the place is getting.....and how skittish the deer are in there, anyways.

I'm like.....Tom....I BOWHUNT....I play the wind....and I've hunted the place about 4 times in one month+.

I wanted to ask him what he's REALLY worried about.....but I have a good idea. The neighbor to this woodlot told the landowner he's seen a "10-pointer" in her fields (fields/pastures are in front of the woodlot I hunt). She was telling me about it, tonight. She said "I hope you get him". What's funny is.....it's probably the 2.5yr old I'm after (which is about a 90" 8-pointer). You know how "all" bucks are 10-12pointers when you don't hunt....lol.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

To bad you couldn't lease it all for yourself, then you wouldn't have to deal with any of that. Hopefully they don't have her ear, but then again, you hope it doesn't turn her into saying no to everyone.

I used to deal with that sort of thing, I had a place to bowhunt, but vanished when gun came around as others came in to gun hunt. Got sort of crowded too.

No worries of that anymore for me.