Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand Location Help/Insight (New Aerial View PIC)

Old 10-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stand Location Help/Insight (New Aerial View PIC)

Some are unfamilliar with my hunting area. So a little back ground:

I live on a farm, which we used to farm, but now is dedicated to food plots, and hunting. Though we still have cattle, our farming land has been dedicated to wildlife. We have 300 acres (on our home farm), with 120 or so tillable. We have 10 food plots planted this year, as a buddy and I started a plotting buisness. We have everything you can think of. Corns, beans, and an assortment of oats, peas, brassicas, sun flowers...etc. Our plan is to draw them out of the swamp.

My best stand is on a ridge, boardering a HUGE, I mean HUGE swamp. Basically, most of our stands surround this swamp. In past years, this was very successful. Especially, the ridge set. This swamp has two "humps". Basically ridges in the middle, not very big, but hard wooded. Big enough to hunt.

I've often said I was going IN to hang a stand, but never have because it is near impossible. It is wet, and it would be hard to not spook deer, any time of day. That is where they are.

What say ye? But on the waders (prob) and go in on a hump?

Or bank on them coming to the plots, or chasing does during the rut?

For the record, deer sightings are WAY down, this year.

In the pic, the top mark is a my best stand, the two to the bottom are on the humps.

Thanks.

Yellow=Property lines (half ass)
Blue=most stand sites
Pink= "Humps" described (original question)
Old 10-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Stand Location Help/Insight (pic)

Kyle, I hunt land very similar to what you described. Most of the good sign is found back in the nastiest, boggiest parts of the river bottom. You're right, it is hard to move quietly through the marsh. Even if you can move quietly, you can quickly work up a sweat with all the high-stepping and climbing over junk.

That said, I still hunt the nasty parts because as you said, that's where they are. I wear high boots and have cleared brush to make a quieter path for myself. As for getting to the stand quietly in the dark, I have found the most unobstructed paths to the stands during the daytime and then traced my steps with my GPS to establish a "trail" in my GPS that I can follow later.

I have actuallyfound the nasty parts of the woods to offer additional cover, scent control, and stealth if you can find a good path. You know that stink of a still,stagnant swamp? Well, it's a great cover scent. Walking up a slough or a creek virtually eliminates any scent you may have otherwise left on the ground. And if you discipline yourself to walk slowly, you can walk in near absolute silence. Just make sure you keep away from any known bedding areas and you should be good.

Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is I would not rule out the humps just because they are rough to get to. I would take the time to learn the paths of least resistance on the way in. It will also allow you to learn more about your property and give you a better idea of what patterns the deer are keeping during the different stages of the season.

Good luck
Old 10-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks crow killa,

you may see that "finger" extending into the swamp. I would take that as far as a could, as it is just grass mostly. I'd then cut in to get to the smaller hump. I'd access the big hump from the field to the east.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You ever gonna score your buck for the contest..? Been saying score to come for a week...
Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

You ever gonna score your buck for the contest..? Been saying score to come for a week...
Yeah, when I go home this weekend from school
Old 10-16-2008, 05:14 PM

I sometimes hunt a cedar swamp with an "oak island" in the middle. Its a real pain to get in there, i use hip waders, and will only go in during the day. The one huge benefit is no one else would be crazy enough to go in there and thats where the deer are.

I always find tons of deer and bear sign, have seen a lot of does, but to date no bucks. I know that some day im gonna go in there and when i do see a buck it will be a bruiser.

To get in, i take it slow, and when i do reach the island, i carefully still hunt it. Last year i didnt hunt it at all, so its due for a visit. The only problem is if i get a buck i will have to quarter him or just cut him in half to get him out, its that bad.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your input centurion,

Only a I and my dad bowhunt this land, my uncles on occasion..

I'm the only one that will hunt this area. No one else would put in the work.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The duke knows all about swamp hunting, period.

In my opinion, i would hunt those food plots, maybe they are using them at night right now? Have you spotlighted or anything like that??
Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is that a finger of tree's going Into the swamp? I like tree's In a swamp If that wind permits me hunting In them. Also Kyle look for the high spots In the swamp with a tree capable of putting a stand up In, It should be dryer there and the deer should be there for that reason as well. Swamp hunting Is very rewarding If one can figure It out, I'm still learning but I'm getting much better. You really should check out the DVD from Bloodbros on hunting Marsh bucks. Excellent video!!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

The duke knows all about swamp hunting, period.

In my opinion, i would hunt those food plots, maybe they are using them at night right now? Have you spotlighted or anything like that??

I know they are in the food plots, but your right, at night.

Is that a finger of tree's going Into the swamp?
Negative. It is basically swamp grass but those two humps are hard woods. Some pines, some oaks. Definently trees worthy of a stand.

I've been saying I'm going to buy that video, I need to get it done.

Quick Reply: Stand Location Help/Insight (New Aerial View PIC)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.