Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Passed on first buck yesterday

Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Passed on first buck yesterday

This is only my third year bowhunting. My first two years I really wanted to experince some success with my bow, so I just wanted to fill a buck tag. Last year I shot a 2.5 year old that scored 106 so I went in to this season telling myself that I wouldnt shoot unless it was going on the wall. Last night I let my first buck walk and it was pretty exciting. The eight pointer must have been bedded down about fifty yards from me. I watched it for awhile,and even got my bow ready just in case. As it walked by at twenty yards I had the perfect opportunity to draw, but I looked at the rack and told myself it wasnt big enough. Then he proceeded to stop right in front of me and rub on a sapling for about twenty minutes. That was awesome! I had never seen a buck make a rub before.Anyone else remeber the firs time they let a buck walk?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Passed on first buck yesterday

Congratsonhaving the self-control to do that.It's a great feeling to just watch them isn't it?

Yea, I was probably 15. I had a four pointer eating acorns around me at 10 yards, for about 30 mins. Some people thought I was crazy because I had yet to kill a deer with my bow, but I enjoyed it. I'm 21now, &have yet to kill a buck with my bow, but I'm not going to shoot anything smaller than what I've got on the wall. (2) 120-125 inch deer. I have hadmy fair share of chances on big bucks, but between losing one, and missing about 3 or 4others, this year is the year.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

besides letting sub-legal bucks walk, and not getting a shot at some i might have taken, i let my first go last saturday....this is my 3rd year...took 1 1.5yo with the bow last year...

saturday evening a 2.5yo 4pt half rack came through...coulda had good shooting at 20yds...if he had both sides, i wouldnt had to think about it....i opted to let him walk...for now he will be in trouble the last week or 2 of the season....he came by with a sub legal 1.5yo...it was AWESOME to watch them....the 4pt half rack racked trees and was just starting to act froggy and slightly agressive...he squared off with the lesser buck, but the lesser buck took a few hops and got away from him...it was awesome....
Old 10-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on resisting. i know its hard but it lets the deer get bigger. my first year hunting i lettwo 8 pointers walk by at about 10 yards. im 14 and im doing what you are doing. im not going to shoot unless its big enough to go in the trophy room
Old 10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Nice job. This is only my second year bow hunting, but I've gun hunted all my life. My dad lives by the "only shoot a big buck" mantra, so he kind of passed it down to me. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with taking a small buck, but I'd rather hunt a lot and hold out for a big one and eat my tag if necessary at the end of the season.If I see a lot of deer, I consider it a successful season.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

heck i still havent shot a buck with my bow and i passed on 5 different bucks last year. it was great. cause now i'm seeing how some of them grew.