Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot farther than normal IF….

Old 10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you shoot farther than normal IF….

ORIGINAL: DannyD

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I would extend my max range for a Wolverine or nittany lion.... In any condition

Are badgers out of season now or something? And i'm not sure that Wolverines are worth the arrow anymore
Badger seasonendedtwo Saturdays ago
Old 10-13-2008, 12:40 PM

My Max range is 60 yards where i know i can efficently kill the animal BUT i limit my shots to 35 yards becasue of the chance of hitting bone or having a slight angle that makes the shot slightly harder. If say the biggest deer ive ever seen is at 50 yards or its the alst day of the season and i havnt got anything yet i would take a shot to 50 yards as long as the animal presents a good shot for me. None of the sticking them in the spine crap i do on close shots so i dont have to track the animal.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM

No, my max range at targets is 55 yards. My max range in the timber is usually 35 yrds. But, and its a big "but", each situation is unique to itself, and I usually will read the animals body language to determine what is my best bet. Sometimes at a skittish nervous deer, my range is 20 yrds tops, at a relaxed deer in a wide open field, I can stretch it to 45 yrds. No two situations are completely alike. Given your scenario, I would only take a shot, that I felt 100% confident in.

Jason
Old 10-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

NO
Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

My maximum effective range if I'm feeling good about the shot is probably quite a bit further than the average person so I would probably be more apt to stretch things to the outerlimits of my pin settings, but not beyond.
If I know the range, the animal is relaxed AND I have a pin setting for that distance or under...........I'm shooting.

I can tell you honestly I would shoot further on a calm snow covered nice day than I would on say a rainy one.
Some common sense needs to be implimented but I still wouldn't do anything I felt was "stupid"

Old 10-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope! I just went threw this on Sat. Big buck 62yards broadside!! I shoot 60 but not as good as 50 ,40 ,30,20,and in! So I did not shoot! And it was wide open! He did not know I was there!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't answer that without being in that situation. Sitting here in my office I would say probably not. Out there in a stand.........?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My maximum effective range if I'm feeling good about the shot is probably quite a bit further than the average person so I would probably be more apt to stretch things to the outerlimits of my pin settings, but not beyond.
If I know the range, the animal is relaxed AND I have a pin setting for that distance or under...........I'm shooting.

I can tell you honestly I would shoot further on a calm snow covered nice day than I would on say a rainy one.
Some common sense needs to be implimented but I still wouldn't do anything I felt was "stupid"
Thanks Matt, I was trying to figure out how to word my answer but Matt stepped in and took care of that for me. My sentiments are exactly the same as his though I'm sure his effective range probably exceeds mine by 10-20 yards For me in that scenario, if the deer is 50 yards, I am taking the shot.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Yes. I have done it twice. Both are on the wall. I had to talk myself into the 2nd one, but, I knew I would probably never see this deer again, so I made the shot. These two shots were the best two lung shots I have made. I watched both of these deer fall over and die. They were the shortest recovery I have ever had.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 PM

if it was just barely over range...1-3 yrds or so...then maybe. I would have to have the PERFECT shot.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot farther than normal IF….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.