Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First time advice

Old 10-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default First time advice

Hey everyone, deer bow season starts this comin saturday in WV, hell yea. This is my first time out hunting with a bow, ive been practicing every weekend for a couple months since i bought it. Ive gun hunted for years but whats everyones best advice for first time out on a bow hunt. Thanks yall have a good one.!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First time advice

sent control and limit your movement. Its pretty much the same as gun hunting, just more up close and personal, so your movement and sent are very important. And a range finder. When you get to your spot locate spots, a clump of grass, a tree a rock, something. So when a deer does show up you know what pin to use without having to grab your range finder.. Good luck, ours also starts Saturday
Old 10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Just stay within yourself. You think you know your limitations (shot distances).....just stick to it.

Having never gun hunted a deer.....I can tell you when you come to full draw on an animal....your mind's gonna race. Mine did, just last night. I'm learning to take that extra moment when I get to full draw....just to make sure what's in my sight window is exactly what I want. It's a tough thing to do (for me).....BUT....it's one of the reasons I love bowhunting.

As a gun hunter....you already know about the path of your projectile. Just know you now have some obstacles that your new projectile will possibly have issues with. You shloud be fine, here.

Welcome aboard!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Spike

This is just my second year of bow-hunting in the most beautiful area in the US - The beautiful Mountains of Wild, Wonderful West Virginia and let me say - your first deer with a bow will be a true trophy, reguardless of the sex of the animal. First off, More than likely your not gonna get a flat shot. I'm assuming your either hunting on a downslope off the ground or up in a tree on a STEEP slope so #1 - aim low! I had two misses last year before I realized that I was missing high because of the angle of the shot. #2 - don't rush! If your doing your homework right, the deer isn't gonna know your around. Don't draw back unless you know its safe from movement (i.e. the deer is behind a tree.) #3 Pay goood attention to your scent! Keep yourself as scent free as possible and wear as much scent elimination clothes as possible. #4 Watch your movement and noise. The animal is going to be just 10-30 yards from you, as opposed to a couple hundred, so it is keen to pick up noise and such alot quicker than if your 150 yards up a ridge. Also, visit the "Into the Wild" forum on www.bluegoldnews.com. Several of us are true WV bowhunters and its a great place to seek advice and share your stories!

Hope this info helps!

Wear a safety harness and have fun!

Always remember - any deer with a bow is a trophy!!!