Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Minnesota Buck

Old 10-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Big Minnesota Buck

OHbowhntr,

I made that statement based on the fact that an ethical shot defined, for me personally,is making the decision to take the shot opportunitypresented that aREASONABLE person would believe gives them the best opportunity for a quick, humanekill AND recovery. To me this shot would not offer that opportunity....especially with archery tackle and a tough blood trailing job that, the possibilityhaving no exit wound would produce....again.....I must say this is JMHO.....just my honest opinion, meaning this is how I feel .....not facts, OPINION.

Many shots that are lethal but not ethical would be shots that hunters take purposely to the bucks head, trust me, if you have been on here long enough, you know that some people think this is an ethical shot. I don't believe that taking neck shots are ethical but are lethal. Bear in mind, I am speaking about archery shots. Too much room for error that could lead to a wounded animal. I feel like I owe it to the animal to make the good decisions about my shot choices. Therehave also been a few folks on here that believe thatpurposely taking spine shots are ethical....I would hope that Ido not have topreach aboutwhat unethical decision that would be. Again, my opinions, not published verse or law.

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: bhunter50

A shot is, by matter of opinion, ethical or unethical. I don't make decisions on whether the shot was ethical, with archery equipment, based on the setup..........because that would not be ethical in itself.

I agree with you all, that shot is not an ethical shot to make and I would have passed.....lethal or not. Many shots are 100% LETHAL.....but are not ethical with archery equipment. JMHO.
So what exactly is NOT ETHICAL about that shot placement??? I'd take that shot with a 50# bow with full confidence that the animal would be dead in very short order. That shot placement is the path of LEAST resistance into the heart lungs region, while also destroying the liver, how could you possibly believe that is an "unethical" shot???

I also disagree that shots that are 100% lethal are "not ethical." Because the shots I know of that are 100% lethal are shots that get an arrow into the bottom half of the lungs or involve the heart, which result in quick relatively humane kills. I would say EVERY deer I've ever killed died a much more humane death than probably 90% of the patients I've cared for in nearly 13 yrs as a nurse, and that animal would be have also.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

bhunter....

I understand your statements and concern, but have you ever taken a deer like that or been with someone that did? Trust me, that deer is probably dead in 50yds or less. That BH is churning the boiler room the whole time. We don't know the entire situation on that shot (deer could have turned when he shot, etc) but IMO it was an awesome shot, and obviously it worked well. I've taken 2 deer just like that, both went down in sight and went less than 40yds. I also know plenty of other folks that have done the same. IMO, there is NOTHING unethical about that, its a straight line right to the pump station. I'd take that shot every time with no regrets.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suspect that shot hit guts, one lung, liver and diaphram. Definately lethal!

Shane
Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: KYDeerHunter03

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

What do you mean, "with that shot placement". At how the animal was quartering away, that arrow was put right where it needed to be. Looks a lot like the doe I shot a few weeks ago.

She was in a hard quarter away. I stuck the arrow way back on her. It went in behind the rib cage, through her diaphram, liver, right lung, through the top of the heart, and out above her collar bone, takeing out the left lung with it too. She took 10 steps and fell dead.

I know that the shot is defnitely a lethal shot and never doubted it, I was pretty much refering to the tracking job that he must have went through. With the shot being so high and no exit wound, I just thought it would be difficult to track but not impossible.

I have shot deer that were quartering away and I know they dont go far at all.
I did not mean for my post to appear rude. I was just pointing out a quartering away is a money shot. I can not even start to count the animals ive taken with hard quarter shots. With thick skinned animal, a quarter away is a dream. When im hunting something like hogs i wait for a quarter away on the big boars. Its much easier to put an arrow benind the ribs than to try to punch through the shield.