Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Minnesota Buck

Old 10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Big Minnesota Buck

that is a good shot he got guts liver and maybe some lung that deer didnt go more than a hundred yards
Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll take that shot 100% of the time...

Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

I LIKE THE SHOT PLACEMENT / like most say, thequartering away is the best shot!!!!!!!!!!!

great buck also!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

What do you mean, "with that shot placement". At how the animal was quartering away, that arrow was put right where it needed to be. Looks a lot like the doe I shot a few weeks ago.

She was in a hard quarter away. I stuck the arrow way back on her. It went in behind the rib cage, through her diaphram, liver, right lung, through the top of the heart, and out above her collar bone, takeing out the left lung with it too. She took 10 steps and fell dead.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

A shot is, by matter of opinion, ethical or unethical. I don't make decisions on whether the shot was ethical, with archery equipment, based on the setup..........because that would not be ethical in itself.

I agree with you all, that shot is not an ethical shot to make and I would have passed.....lethal or not. Many shots are 100% LETHAL.....but are not ethical with archery equipment. JMHO.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Planter....

That's why I clarifid my statement to include knowing one's setup. I wouldn't take that shot with a 50# bow.

I always think back to something I read from an author named Joe Brooks. Joe says that....breaking it down....the size of a full sized buck's vitals are about the size of a basketball. He says if he KNOWS he can place his arrow into that area.....he's gonna take the shot.

Isn't this kinda like the guys who post up their kills from 70yds? Just because it's NOT "OK" for some to take this shot (due to setup issues or their confidence level).....that says nothing to what someone else might do. Irrelevant.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bhunter50

A shot is, by matter of opinion, ethical or unethical. I don't make decisions on whether the shot was ethical, with archery equipment, based on the setup..........because that would not be ethical in itself.

I agree with you all, that shot is not an ethical shot to make and I would have passed.....lethal or not. Many shots are 100% LETHAL.....but are not ethical with archery equipment. JMHO.
So what exactly is NOT ETHICAL about that shot placement??? I'd take that shot with a 50# bow with full confidence that the animal would be dead in very short order. That shot placement is the path of LEAST resistance into the heart lungs region, while also destroying the liver, how could you possibly believe that is an "unethical" shot???

I also disagree that shots that are 100% lethal are "not ethical." Because the shots I know of that are 100% lethal are shots that get an arrow into the bottom half of the lungs or involve the heart, which result in quick relatively humane kills. I would say EVERY deer I've ever killed died a much more humane death than probably 90% of the patients I've cared for in nearly 13 yrs as a nurse, and that animal would be have also.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That isa true giant, depending on the actual shot angle that could be an alright shot I have smoked deer from that angle, looks like it got the job done, congrats to him
Old 10-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

What do you mean, "with that shot placement". At how the animal was quartering away, that arrow was put right where it needed to be. Looks a lot like the doe I shot a few weeks ago.

She was in a hard quarter away. I stuck the arrow way back on her. It went in behind the rib cage, through her diaphram, liver, right lung, through the top of the heart, and out above her collar bone, takeing out the left lung with it too. She took 10 steps and fell dead.

I know that the shot is defnitely a lethal shot and never doubted it, I was pretty much refering to the tracking job that he must have went through. With the shot being so high and no exit wound, I just thought it would be difficult to track but not impossible.

I have shot deer that were quartering away and I know they dont go far at all.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

What a buck, i know i wouldnt take that shot with my set up though.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

That shot did some serious internal damage. I'm guessing the deer didn't go too far. I wonder what BH he used.
May have been difficult tracking...

Quick Reply: Big Minnesota Buck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.