Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Minnesota Buck

Old 10-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Minnesota Buck

that buck has already made it to these boards:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3085974&mpage=1

it's an incredible deer especially for minnesota.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

My brother, also on this forum, actually had a shot placement just like that last year. The deer was quartering away at 20 yards and when he let the arrow go, the deer started to turn further away from him and it entered a lot like this. there was no exit wound either for his deer. Yet the deer only went 40 yards and died. I feel that it's a bad shot angle but at the same time, maybe it was like in my brother's case. either way, the deer was found, so it worked and I am happy for the guy. Sometimes it is just as good to be lucky.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I know I would never take the shot with my bow.
That's part of the point, KY. With YOUR setup....I (in making some assumptions on your setup)wouldn't take that shot, either.

Mine? Like I said.....every time (if the shot is a close one).

I agree with GMMAT on every post he's made on this thread. That is a deadly shot. That is a dead deer. It's all in how you approach the tracking job. After you take that shot and see where you placed it you get out of you stand after your 1/2 hour wait and back out immediatly. Wait till the morning if you shot him in the evening. That deer will bed quick and die fairly quick. Its all in how you approach it.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

I agree with GMMAT on every post he's made on this thread. That is a deadly shot. That is a dead deer. It's all in how you approach the tracking job. After you take that shot and see where you placed it you get out of you stand after your 1/2 hour wait and back out immediatly. Wait till the morning if you shot him in the evening. That deer will bed quick and die fairly quick. Its all in how you approach it.
While I agree with this... I think if you see the arrow in an animal as this one was in this buck, after waiting that half hour, I'd be trying to pick up a trail!!! And if I hear the animal go down, I usually don't wait that long.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 AM
Banned

gorgeous buck and anyone passong on that shot angle is ....well, uneducated in shot placement to be honest

I see a sure liver hit, lungs and maybe even heart and as the deer ran, that broadhead was doing serious damage in there .... perfect except there wouldn't have been a great blood trail but then, he didn't go far with that hit either
Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 AM

Isn't there a kidney somewhere near where that arrow went in. If I remember correctly, a kidney shot is just as lethal as a lung/heart shot, right? I do realize he got more than kidney in this case, if he even touched the kidney at all. Great buck!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I attempted a shot on a doe at this exact angle, at12-yards. If it weren't for a small limb half way between us, I'd have had her. My bow was delivering about 70-ft lbs of KE. I had no doubt it would have dropped her. So I say nice shot, and great buck.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

First time I'm seeing that buck. Fantastic buck, and congrats to the hunter. As far as the shot angle it looks like a steep quartering away shot. That's a shot most bowhunters with a compound will take, and should take.

Again, congrats to that hunter. Great buck.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

great buck! not the shot I would have taken IF there were going to be better opportunities to shoot at him. From the looks of the shot, he was forced to make a split second decision and thats what he came up with, i dont blame him.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

2 Lunger, GMMAT-Agreed!
The approach after the shot is just as important as the shot itself!Good shot, if it is available and the shooter confident.
I took a nice sized doe last week with a shot close to that sameangle and it worked out great. I wouldn't encourage everyone to take that type of shot, only if there is 100% certainty of a clear arrow path and if the shooter is confident in the shot.

Quick Reply: Big Minnesota Buck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.