Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How hot is too hot?

Old 10-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How hot is too hot?

I was curious as to how much you think hot weather effects deer movement? Last year during the early weeks of the PA season (and you PA guys can attest to this), we had some very high temps. It was generally in the mid 70s with a few days in the mid 80s. I fondly remember sweating my but off just sitting in the stand with base layers and my ASAT, and that was it. My deer sightings didn't reflect what I had anticipated. I still saw a decent amount of deer, but they were moving a bit closer toward last light. Fast forward to this season, and we've somewhat entered into a repeat of last year weather wise the last few days. Temps have held steady in the low to mid 70s, BUT the temps are dropping down to the mid 40s here at my house. Deer sightings are a bit up this year overall, and I've hunted every day, so I've hunted the cool temps of the first few days, and the more recent warmer days. I'm a bit more carefuly with my scent this year even more so than last year. I'm washing my base layers after every 2 or 3 hunts, and I'm taking my time walking to the stand as to minimize sweat build up. I'm using anti-scent deodorant, shampoo, soap, and spray.

Anyways, on the the question. Tomorrow, we're going to see temps in the low to mid 80s. Ideally, I would like to find a water source, but I don't have one on my property. Do you guys set a certain temp target that you won't hunt in due to scent issues, deer movement, etc, or do you hunt regardless of temperature? Do you think warmer temps on the afternoon WITH cooler evenings/nights effect deer movement more than warmer temps in the afternoon with warmer temps through the evening/night?

Thoughts? How many PA guys will be in the stand in tomorrow's heat? I know you can't kill them from the couch, but I'm curious if there is such a thing as TOO hot?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How hot is too hot?

I remember going out like the 4th day of season last year and it was 92 degrees. That was too hot. I won't do that again. I was dripping sweat.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I won't hunt if it's gonna get even near 90. We've been EXTREMELY lucky here in NC, this year.

I wear lightweight cotton and wash it after every hunt. I'll also "try" to hunt spots with shorter hikes in.

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

With luck this weather will only last a few days like wunderground says it will. GMMAT hit it. Extra laundary, short hikes. It's still gonna go down tothe high 40s at night, that helps.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont think i will hunt here at school this week due to the heat....

my hike in is LONG. throw a 25lb stand on my back as well as the 20-30minute walk in and its demanding.

plus, then i get my camo just plain soaked...that is not good scent control practice...that means either rewashing(most of my stuff is scentlok and dont wanna wash more than needed) or wearing them after theyve been soaked...

not to mention, what happens if i hit one in the morning and it was bad and i wait till late in the evening to find it? thats going to be a wasted animal...

definently dont think i will hunt tuesday..maybe thursday...doesnt look like this heat spell is going to live long.....

i still seen 2 bucks last night, but it really was AS hot as the next few days...and i waited till 5 or so to walk in...and my walk is short and i actually drove a bit closer than normal...and my stand was already in the tree so i just had to climb up...
Old 10-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Was out yesterday and once thetemps started to rise the deer stopped moving. Fisrt light it was 55 and by noon it was 78. Saw 3 does at 9:00 and that was that. The the time I walked out I was soaked thru. IMO I like the temps to be no higher than 60, makes me more comfortable and the deer seem to be more active.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have got a lot of spots that are easy to get to, the work after the shot is what I don't want to deal with.... Then if the shot isn't the best.... gets even worse! My season is long, I've learned to wait for cooler weather. Last season I would shoot every deer that would walk past my tree, not anymore, I'll chase other critters until the weather is favorable! The deer won't move that much during this heat, they will wait until its cooler out, ya know when its dark! I won't shoot at a deer unless the temps drop below 50's at night or even think about it if the temps are in the 65+ degrees during the day! I don't need to!
Old 10-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Ya know BHF....that's a great point (what if the shot isn't "perfect"?).

I know I change my outlook when it's hot. It needs to be even MORE of a slam-dunk. I learned this the hard way, unfortunately.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be hunting tomorrow evening. It has been too hot herelately. This whole week is supposed to be warm, but the following week(20th)the high's are only going to be in the mid to upper 50's.The show will be starting! I'll be experiencing the entire rut for the first timeever. Can't wait!!!

Old 10-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

This level of hot doesn't keep me out of the tree, for some reason me & killing deer in hot weather go together. I don't like it, but that's how it has worked out.
Probably upper 80's to 90 would keep me at home.
That said I won't be getting out the next couple days in this heat, but its due to other commitments, not the weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.