Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finally, got my first one!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default Finally, got my first one!

Thursday nite I had an unusual experience with a large buck (by Florida stds anything over 100 is very good, this one was 109 gross 107 net) step into the 10 foot wide path I was slip hunting. I froze, and oddly, he walked straight toward me. When he got 15 yrds away and I realized he wasn't going to turn, I began to raise my bow knowing it was a lost cause. He ran like heck in a complete panic, but I got a good look at him. I figured that deer is now nocturnal and I'll need to find another, but it was a very exciting experience.

However, i decided to hunt a stand located 400-500 yds west of where I spooked the deer, in the direction of where he came from, the next evening. Long story short, to my great surprise, the same deer showed up 30 min before dark and rubbed a cypress tree directly below me for 10 min. My knees and body was shaking as I watched this incredible animal rub the tree to death. I did not have a shot at this angle. After 10 min of rubbing, he walked into a path that provided a clean 12 yrd shot. I hit him a little back, but the shot pierced his liver and I think it was the wind pipe that I saw severed. I had no blood trail despite pass thru, but after waiting 45 min, he was laying 40 yrds away. Chest cavity was full of blood.

Anyway, it was very exciting and I must admit, well earned after many yrs of unsuccessfully trying, enduring hot florida weather, water and moquittos. We've only had 3 deer taken in 8 yrs of bow hunting on my lease and though not a monster, this was the largest.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:54 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Default RE: Finally, got my first one!

I'm glad for you and I know how long the wait can be.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

We must have pictures,manlaw. Congrats on your first one!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

How about that!

1. You've seen a deer make a rub, now....which is something I've never seen.

2. Who was scared when he got that close to you walking.....him or you? (I'm joking, of course....but I'd have been shaking!)

3. You had an encounter with a great deer.....and then another. I know that feeling....and I thin it's awesome!

4. You got one! Congratulations. Sounds like they're few and far between, there.

Intrigued by the "too far back" and "windpipe" thing, though....just for educational purposes. When everything dies down (I know you're happy....and you should be!)....shoot me a PM or reply in here, later. Just interested in your thoughts.

Congrats, again!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTG!! Man Law!! we must have pic's or people with be handing out sack punches LOL.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome congrats!.. Need some pics
Old 10-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats, but you need some pics or sack punches wil start occurring.....
Old 10-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

[align=left]im with these guys with the pics and sack punches but congrats man
[/align][align=left] [/align]
Old 10-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

no pic no deer congrats

Quick Reply: Finally, got my first one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.