Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This hunting "right" is kicking my ass!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: This hunting "right" is kicking my ass!

Although today is only the first full week of our bowseason, I feel your anxiety. I have been dealing with several factors, both nature and dogs. Its been different hunting on this land because of the trial runs the hunt club is doing illegally across a bordering creek. The weather has been high 70's low 80's all week. I went to my furthest stand yesterday and by the time I got there I was sweatin like a pig. I changed shirt in my stand and bleated a couple does in, but no bucks yet.

Im waiting on the leaves to fall, as most of my stands are on trails and ridges. I might have 75-100 yrds sight with the leaves on the trees, but will have several hundred yds once they fall.

Ive been out every evening this past week, with 4 morning hunts...and so far I've bumped about5-6 deer going in, with none offering me a shot.

Hang in there Jeff.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

For numbers sakes.....

Through 9 shoots I've seen 23 deer thus far. One being a racked buck, he's dead now. I've probably had 15 of those 23 within "bow range". I guess I must being doing something right as far as just seeing does. I'm honestly not too worried about bucks right now, and probably wont be the rest of the year. We've got "doe" work that needs to be done.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, guys. I'm SO tired of this wind.....that I'm gonna throw a "little" caution to the wind (pun intended) and head to the outskirts of one of my doe spots. Right deer (doe) - Right time. I'm still gonna hug the SW edge (NE wind).....but my scent's going into my poaching neighbor's haunts.

Schultzy.....if I had a different wind....I'd go into the heart of the does with the longbow. I just don't have a spot I can take it where I can get a pretty close (I need 'em to be REAL close...lol) shot expectation.

Duke....I'm having fun with this. Like I said....I may not shoot when/if I get "JR" under me.....but if I get him there and pass on him.....I "win".

More to come.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I have been having the smae amount of luck, lol. I have seen one rack buck this year, about 30 does. All of this on my quest to kill a buck with the bow, I play the wind to my advantage, try new things, but something just seems to go wrong everytime [:@]. Goin back out in the rain to try again, will report later.