Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tuning my Bow to shot expandibles

Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Spike

Default Tuning my Bow to shot expandibles

I have a Diamond marquis bow set to 60lbs and I'm pretty accurate with it. This weekend I am going out with a few buddies who have spotted some hogs so it will be my first time taking a bow hunting! In sort of a confusion I ordered I bunch of different broadheads online because I know little about bows so I wasn't really wanting to do any kind of tuning myself which I know is important for non-expandible broadheads. I ordered a 6 pack of 100 grain wasp broadheads (which are look similiar to muzzy). A 6 pack of 100 grain Nap thunderhead broadheads. A Pack of 2 blade rage broadheads. and about 20 of the trophy ridge hammerhead broadheads which are 3 blade broadheads held together with a rubber band.

Anyways I've really never shot any of the broadheads. I practiced a few times with the rage practice broadhead and it flew PRETTY close to my 100 grain field tips. I've been doing a lot of reading and many people say you dont want to use expandible broadheads on hogs. I would like to use my wasp 100 grain or my thunderheads but will I have to adjust my pins for them to hit accurate? I didn't really want to have to shoot my broadheads at my target
[align=right] [/align]
Old 10-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Spike

Default RE: Tuning my Bow to shot expandibles

i am no pro, nor have i posted alot here, but i would highly suggest going to get a block-type broadhead target. my bow shoots fixed blade broadheads significantly different than field points, to the point of possibly just injuring an animal. i'd rather be certain i know exactly where that arrow is going when i hit the release.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Spike

yah. im just going to have to do that. What exactly changes when you start shooting broadheads. I would guess they would just hit a little lower as they'd make more drag in flight?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Spike

yep, lower. didnt know about this until two years when i missed a decent 8 point at 30 yards. but after reading the thread ""THE" Most Devistating Wound with a Rage Broadhead. Graphic" i am grabbing some of these on the way home from work and re-tuning.